Clay bars do a really good job.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R W

Car
01,E320CDI. 2012 Sclass 350cdi
My recently acquired 2007, 211, travelled from Germany to here in Kyrgyzstan on the train. It also stood 4 weeks in a train distribution yard in Lithuania. Since I got the car it looked ok but the paint never felt silky smooth it always felt slightly rough. My 210 is clayed maybe twice a year & silky smooth.
Anyway, today the sun was shining & I gave the car a good wash down. I then started with the clay bar, the car being black it didn’t show much grime. But the clay was filthy black/brown from only doing the bonnet, roof & boot lid. Sides were reasonably clean.
I have only clayed a few cars in my time but this has by far been the most contaminated car I have done. Dont know if its from the train journey or standing in the industrial distribution yard. Its clean now & nice & smooth. Clay bars really do a great job, what did detailers use before having clay bars?. Next I will have to get rid of some swirl marks & a coat or two of wax before the weather gets worse again. Or maybe just wax it for some protection till the winter is over then do it properly.

I've heard rail yards are terrible places for cars. Lots of metal dust in the air from the train wheels/rails. I've never used a clay bar. Is it OK on lacquer? ie 2pack or just for paint?

I've heard rail yards are terrible places for cars. Lots of metal dust in the air from the train wheels/rails. I've never used a clay bar. Is it OK on lacquer? ie 2pack or just for paint?

I recall seeing some consumer advice in the 1980's, regarding litigation against British Rail. Cars in a multi-storey outside a major rail station were suffering from severe paint damage.

On a separate issue, heresay has it that a ride on the Northern line in London is equivalent to a cigarette in terms of contaminants in the lungs ....

I think you are both correct; the contamination was probably from the train yard.

Optic; Clay bar can be used on anything really, paint, chrome, glass. It cleans when you rub it over the object, contaminates are removed and stick to the clay bar.

My routine is to Iron x first then clay. Both a must in the wash routine as iron x takes a lot of metal full out first. Love watching a silver car bleed red.

Can you clean the Clay and reuse or is it a one shot?

It sounds brilliant

Can you buy clay bars on their own without buying the whole kit.

Yes. Speak to Tim at Clean Your Car.
He's a good guy and will be able to help you out.

There are different types of clay (aggressive/ non aggressive) but he can advise you on this too.

I prefer Meguiars clay - the white bars you get in their clay kit. It's softer and more manageable, like plasticine, unlike some other clay, like the orange stuff by Serious Performance, which is like rubber!

:thumb:

Clay bars are a great routine to get into twice a yea,. just use after you have washed the car. Most will clay the car while wet from the wash stage as its easier to re wash the car while wet. I on the other hand clay a car dry. So I will wash the car, dry it, then clay the car with lube such as meg's last touch. Then to remove all the clay sling I give the car a full iPa wipe down. It's a bit more hassle but gives unreviled effects as well as making the car silicone free.

Clay can be purchased on its own and comes in a few types of aggressiveness. You can get mild, medium and aggressive clay. You can also get clay that uses just water for lube as others need a dedicated clay lube.

But though aggressive clay will remove more fallout, it will mar the paint a lot. So a bad idea on dark cars, but totally fine if your following up with machine polishing.

For cheaper clay go for the built hammer. It's the best in its category.

My personal favourite clay/lube of all time:

dodo juice gentle grey. It doesn't mar at all and at the same time it removes a lot of contaminants. But this does need a dedicated clay lube. Mine personal favourite is megs last touch which is a coconut smelling quick detailer. Both items are not the cheapest out there, but you will get 4/6 cuts out of the gentle grey which if you clay twice a year is up to 3 years worth of claying. Same as the last touch, as it only comes in 3.75 litre concentrates. But is a quick detailer so can be used to wipe the car down, clean door shuts, wipe plastics, wheels, engines etc. Plus it smells nice.all in all your looking less the £60.00 for both which will last you about 3 years.

I clay cars everyday and only ever use this clay and this lube.

Also if you want to get heavier contaminants out, stick to your iron x. It will do your job for you and won't mar the paint. The only time I would use aggressive clay is to remove overspray.

Remember all these products are at

- Elite Car Care

where I believe Alex set up a discount code mbclub. Will get you 5% off If I remember rightly.

Cheers Mike

I have used clay bars for a few years now - I usually use the Meguiars kit, it comes with a spray wax. I've found that a good "claybaring" followed by the 3 stage Meguiars polish is guaranteed to get questions on what wax you use :). The only thing I've found is the bar is small and easily dropped, at which case of course you'd be brave to use it any further!

I would recommend a clay bar to anyone - the paint feels superb once done.

I know the sight of a BMW will cause nausea around here :p, but here's the results of using a clay-bar and the 3 stage Meguiars (tried to edit the last post, but couldn't). The paintwork ends up as smooth as silk:

car5.jpg

I know the sight of a BMW will cause nausea around here :p, but here's the results of using a clay-bar and the 3 stage Meguiars (tried to edit the last post, but couldn't). The paintwork ends up as smooth as silk:

car5.jpg

Nice car :thumb:

Looks great !

:thumb:

nice work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom