Clay mitt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulhick

Car
C250 amg premium sports plus
I do love a bit of cleaning and polishing and the car is needing another going over with the clay bar but I’ve read about these clay mitts. I haven’t got a clue about them so could someone shed a bit of light as to if it’s more beneficial to get one of these or a new clay kit?
many thanks.

I do love a bit of cleaning and polishing and the car is needing another going over with the clay bar but I’ve read about these clay mitts. I haven’t got a clue about them so could someone shed a bit of light as to if it’s more beneficial to get one of these or a new clay kit?
many thanks.

I use the clay mitt and prefer it as there is less chance of dropping it as your hand is inside it. Also you can move quickly across the bodywork as it covers a greater area in one swipe.

Well I used a clay mitt for the first time a couple of months ago,I also bought a spray bottle of stuff to spray when using the mitt,my paint was mirror smooth after I used it,I did one panel at a time,I did not have to do the roof because it is glass,but I am well pleased with the result as you have clay barred before you will find the mitt much easier to use

I have used one for a while now and it's brilliant. My brother always used a clay bar (before mitts) and it would take him ages. I saw a G3 clay mitt online and took a punt as I knew G3 have some great products. You can clay a whole car in no time at all compared to a bar and in my opinion the job is just as good. You can then rinse it out and re-use it.

Clay mitts are really good. I would used them as directed but also with a bucket of warm water (especially at this time of year) to rinse the mitt occasionally and keep the clay soft for the paint :thumb:

Just a final quick question(s)-lube,what you use as I can’t seem to find just a simple clay lube without buying the full kit and if I just dunk the mitt into a bucket of normal shampoo and water every now and then that will take the residue out?

Any slippery quick detailer should be fine, but otherwise soapy car shampoo is okay.

I use this

Dodo Juice born slippery 500ml.

You dilute it so it lasts forever and cost effective in comparison to other commercial products.

If you only have light contamination I would suggest against a mitt or a bar unless your going to give it a full polish after as no matter how gentle you are, it will create some marring.
Garage therapy Decon shampoo is a great product that will remove most, then follow up with Tar remover, them last step would be fallout remover. Then after that if you still feel contamination on the panels go with a clay

I clay it over every 3-4 months. Total polish/wax every other wash. I know it doesn’t need it but I’m a bit ocd with the cars for some reason. Would seriously like to do it as a job.

Hey Paul, when you say polish, do you mean a glaze and wax or proper polish.
Every time you polish the paint it will remove the wax, some polish/glazes are great as a primer for a wax, but once the wax is on you only need to top it with with a Qd. Or wax
Also depending on what your wash routine and chemical used will also have a dramatic effect on how often you need to clay the paint.

So Tripple is an All in1, polish glaze and wax, so has own small amount of protection, and will work with other waxes too, but tripple will also remove the wax that you have topped it with, so your kinda going round in circles buddy.
If you enjoy it and are happy with your chosen waxes etc then dont change, but if you are going to clay then a good polish after then a sealant, wax etc. The best way to keep the panel contamination down is with a good wash routine. And a durable wax or sealant that will resist again alkaline based cleaning products for maintenance

Hope you don't mind the pointers buddy, it's not meant in a negative way.

Not at all. Don’t mind pointers in the slightest. Have always washed and the odd polish on my other cars but since we’ve had the merc and Audi I’ve really started to take a lot of pride in the cars and love washing and polishing them like some sad case every Sunday.

so much easier than a clay bar with exactly the same effect. Love them.

Nothing sad about it buddy, ignore them, I find it extremely therapeutic and rewarding, its the perfect sunday for me

Nothing sad about it buddy, ignore them, I find it extremely therapeutic and rewarding, its the perfect sunday for me
My mate does a show on local radio so it’s basically out and started before 10 with the radio on. Really takes the stresses of the week away for me.

Just finished washing, clay mitt and ceramic coating. Took just under 4 hours but looks freakin' amazing.

Attachments

• 8c18ae6b-6247-4378-8451-d46479a04001.jpeg
    8c18ae6b-6247-4378-8451-d46479a04001.jpeg
    981.1 KB · Views: 19
  • a9b5b54f-0468-4cb6-aad7-b64983153463.jpeg
    a9b5b54f-0468-4cb6-aad7-b64983153463.jpeg
    772.8 KB · Views: 20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom