Clay question and Items to take on Holiday for a 'Holiday detail'

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by A210AMG, Jun 7, 2011.

1. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

Hello

Since owning my Current car its never had a 'proper' clean, I bought it during November and then through the bad Winter never got round to it. Then Little one number two has taken a fair bit of time...

Don't get me wrong its had a weekly wash / tyre black and I've attempted to clean the engine bay.... but little else.

I'm looking at getting a Clay bar and 'trying' it. What do peope recommend, over on Detailing world they suggested a Bilt hamber bar as you can use it with water? I've no idea and would have probably gone for the Kit such as Autogylm.

Then my other question.... Due for some holidays soon and in the evening while away either at the Caravan site or Holiday home in France I want to give the car a good 'deep' clean...:thumb:

What would people recommend I take with me? The car is Silver and have to say in this picture already looks pretty good, but it Needs a good polish / the trim bits need a clean / tar etc

[​IMG]

2. JOB-BLACK-RAT

JOB-BLACK-RAT Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 5 series 'ahem'
    Have a look on YOUTUBE on 'how to claybar your car', I used a Meguiars kit for £26 from Halfords.

The kit comes with all you need and enough to do it 4 times or so. The silky glass feel to the paint after you have done is fantastic and the whole process helped me remove most of the 'swirles' from the last owners poor polish job :thumb:

2 people like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

3 for 2 at halfords also :)

4. 300CE

300CE Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1990 300CE
    I've got the Bilt Hamber one as it has a good write up, is a larger size bar and you can lubricate with water (as you stated). I'll be using it for the first time on Friday & will let you know what the finish is like.

As JBR says, check out you tube for videos on how to clay & you should also have a look at the 'polished bliss' website as it is very informative & has howto's.

1 person likes this.
  5. Chrishazle

Chrishazle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 1993 Porsche 968 Tip Cab.
    I've used the Bilt Hamber regular on all 3 of my cars - and would highly recommend it as best value for money. £10 worth of clay, I still have 1/3rd of the bar left, and water instead of £8 detailing spray as the lubricant.

After that, if you want to continue, it's elbow grease (or DA polisher!) and paint correction. I did my silver C270 with Autoglym Bodyshop 02B/03B and a DA polisher, and the dull grey silver became shiny blueish silver.

There are plenty of threads on here (or, if you want to get anoraky and have lots of time/money, on A world for detailers...) about what comes next - basically paint cleaner fluid, polish, glaze, wax, more wax.

Have fun - it's worth it!

1 person likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

Thanks so far :)

I'm already on the detailing world forum its car cleaning but not as we know it :)

Think I will go for the Bilt Hamber, any one or are they all ok as there are different versions..

I'm already looking at these polishing machines and like the idea of one :)

Polishing Kits/Machines

7. 300CE

300CE Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1990 300CE
  8. nigel cross

nigel cross Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W164 ML350 Audi S4

Where about's are you/ Perhaps there is a member here , that can let you try his if you are local?

9. Chrishazle

Chrishazle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 1993 Porsche 968 Tip Cab.
    I also have a DAS6 - with the full set of 4 Sonus pads. Paid about £80 for the DAS6 and £30 for the set of 4 pads.