CLC V6 coupes balance shaft affected range or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Merclover2005

Car
C180 Kompressor CL203 EVOLUTION AMG
Hi all,

Just wanted to know if the CLC350 is clear of balance shaft issues, even one registered in 2008. Am looking to get either a C320 sports coupé or a CLC350 but want to know the deal with the balance shaft and whether it's safe to buy any V6 CLC (even a 2008 one) or I still need to be wary and check the VIN numbers etc?

Thanks!

The C320 uses the M112 engine which was very reliable and has no inherent balance shaft issues but wasn't used after around 2004.

This was replaced by the M272 engine of which, some models did have issues with premature balance shaft wear.

If you carry out a search on here you will find lots of information regarding the balance shaft problems and VIN range to look out for.

The C320 uses the M112 engine which was very reliable and has no inherent balance shaft issues but wasn't used after around 2004.

This was replaced by the M272 engine of which, some models did have issues with premature balance shaft wear.

If you carry out a search on here you will find lots of information regarding the balance shaft problems and VIN range to look out for.
Hi thanks for reply,

Yes I was aware of the M112 C320 engine not being affected by the balance shaft cog issue as its a different engine. It was just that I couldn't find much information about whether the early 2008/2009 CLC V6 coupes can be affected by those issues or not?

Hi thanks for reply,

Yes I was aware of the M112 C320 engine not being affected by the balance shaft cog issue as its a different engine. It was just that I couldn't find much information about whether the early 2008/2009 CLC V6 coupes can be affected by those issues or not?
Yes, the engine can be affected. Highly unlikely in a 2008-9 car. You can easily check by checking the engine number against the many google sites which tell you what range of engine numbers were affected. I have a 350 engine in my 2008 CLK and the engine number is well outside the affected range. Owned the car for seven years and it has been faultless.

Yes, the engine can be affected. Highly unlikely in a 2008-9 car. You can easily check by checking the engine number against the many google sites which tell you what range of engine numbers were affected. I have a 350 engine in my 2008 CLK and the engine number is well outside the affected range. Owned the car for seven years and it has been faultless.

Ah okay so it'd still be wise to check the engine number like you said. Nice, must be a lovely car to drive. I'm looking into the CLKs as well but most likely a 320 engine if I can.. Good that your car has been flawless though, seems like they're very reliable other than the ones in the affected range.

Yup, just check the number and if it’s outside range, the M272 engine is really no worse than any other. They can have solenoid niggles and the odd sensor issue, but not particularly expensive to fix. The balance shaft isssue is the one to avoid as that is £££££ to sort out.

Yup, just check the number and if it’s outside range, the M272 engine is really no worse than any other. They can have solenoid niggles and the odd sensor issue, but not particularly expensive to fix. The balance shaft isssue is the one to avoid as that is £££££ to sort out.
A £3000 fix according to my Indie.

Oh okay, I think I've read up about the solenoid thing and the 7g gearbox but as you say not very expensive repairs. Yeah that balance shaft issue is a no no aha. So expensive to fix on a car of that age, you might as well just buy another one 😂

A £3000 fix according to my Indie.
Goodness me. Literally would outweigh the cost of the vehicle. I'd be sending it to the scrap yard 🤣.

Good luck actually finding a V6 CLC. In the year that I was looking only actually found one and that was 3 grand over the price of a equivalent clk350 so gave up !!!!!

Question I have asked many times, how many actually fail? nobody seems to know.
Forums are usually full of bad news, posting to fixing problems.

Interesting question.

My Indie says that they get to see t 3 or 4 cars a year with symptoms. Most owners choose to just scrap the car.

If it goes on my CLK I will get it fixed, around 2K£
With worn sprocket/chain value X£ per tonne, fixed 2-3K£ may be more.

Good luck actually finding a V6 CLC. In the year that I was looking only actually found one and that was 3 grand over the price of a equivalent clk350 so gave up !!!!!
Ikr 🤣 I'm not paying that much for a clc I don't blame you for giving that one up!! I don't really want to spend more than 4k but could stretch to 5k if its a CLC350. I won't take my chances with a C350 CL203 as that's made right in the affected range so would be like playing Russian roulette. That's why I may go for a C320 coupe. I want one in facelift though with the pan roof and as many toys as possible.. I've got the pan roof on my C180k so that's a must for me 🤣. Those c320 coupes are still hard to come by in facelift too unfortunately :/ had my eye on one but it sold in a week!!

Interesting question.

My Indie says that they get to see t 3 or 4 cars a year with symptoms. Most owners choose to just scrap the car.
Damn that is still a lot considering they aren't that common either...

If it goes on my CLK I will get it fixed, around 2K£
With worn sprocket/chain value X£ per tonne, fixed 2-3K£ may be more.
If you can afford a repair that expensive on an older car by all means.. But I certainly can't 😂 what milage and year is your clk just out of interest?

The engine number ranges are given here:

The first category will put the EML on and will be a financial write-off for most affected cars now as replacement of the sprocket(s) is an engine-out job. The second is also EML on, but a less expensive fix (our 2007 C230 was in that group). The third category is just an oil leak.

Quite a lot of SLK and CLK Convertibles of that vintage around this area..
Aha fair enough, I'm not sure whereabouts you are but I live in Cumbria and I don't even remember the last time I've seen one round here! 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom