Clean, smear free wipe ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Merc808

Car
E220 CDi
Is it just me or does anyone else out there suffer from the same problem?

I was my car weekly and try to keep any polish off the window, I use Auto gleam shampoo, and resin polish to finish. I suffer badly with the windscreen the wiper not doing their job efficiently. I use turtle wax glass cleaner, sometimes twice a week to clean and get the flies of the windows but I cannot seem to get a clean, smear free, wipe from my wiper blade when it’s raining. Now it is getting to darker nights it is a nightmare with drizzle. I have changed the blade for a new Bosh one and within a week it’s the same.

Can anyone recommend a good glass cleaner, wind screen wash or method, old wives tale ie vinegar etc to get the windows clean and keep them smear free.

Regards Merc808

Try Rain X, thats what I use on my cars, you need to reapply it every so often but the windscreen stays smear free for ages.

Yeah you can, its about 7 quid if I remember. Make sure the windscreen is REALLY clean first and then just apply and wipe off. Rain just beads off once its been applied, definately worth the money.

DO NOT use AUto Glym Glass Polish on windscreen - all it did was cause smeering when ever I applied it. User MB windscreen washer directly on windscreen ans this should get rid of all the contaminnets and just apply household window cleaner and use Rain X...

The best product I've ever come across for cleaning windscreens/headlights etc. Is a household cleaner called "Stardrops" and it costs a couple of quid for a decent sized bottle.

Laz
--

Flash said:
DO NOT use AUto Glym Glass Polish on windscreen - all it did was cause smeering when ever I applied it.
I *always* use autoglym glass polish on the windscreen and other glass! It smells the same as some ancient windowlene polish I found in a cupboard at home (in a glass bottle!) and it's great. Also works wonders on glass in the house, windows and mirrors etc! :)

DO NOT use any of the water-like sprays, the polish has a distinctive smell and whatever they put in there it's old-school stuff that my Grandmother would be proud to use.

Shude said:
I *always* use autoglym glass polish on the windscreen and other glass! It smells the same as some ancient windowlene polish I found in a cupboard at home (in a glass bottle!) and it's great. Also works wonders on glass in the house, windows and mirrors etc! :)

DO NOT use any of the water-like sprays, the polish has a distinctive smell and whatever they put in there it's old-school stuff that my Grandmother would be proud to use.

U must end up with alot of powder/dust deposits/particles from using Auto Glym glass polish on ur household products i.e. window frames/coffee table... all on the floor/carpet... :crazy: Its alrite on other glass on the car BUT on windscreen from my experience its not all that (I have propelry applied and buffed it off...).

Flash said:
U must end up with alot of powder/dust deposits/particles from using Auto Glym glass polish on ur household products i.e. window frames/coffee table... all on the floor/carpet... :crazy: Its alrite on other glass on the car BUT on windscreen from my experience its not all that (I have propelry applied and buffed it off...).
Not really, I think the cloths collect it all.

Clean the screen off with Methylated Spirit or an alcohol based cleaner.

Can take a while but most of the crud will come off. Main culprit of the smeared screen is car shampoo with added waxes.

I'm critical about this too but I've used Autoglym glass cleaner with total success for years.
Be careful with Rain-X. Opinions vary, and the way it's applied is critical. If you don't like the effect it's very difficult to get off again. It's great on side windows, though.

Hmmm, I've always used grandma's method of vinegar... viped off with a soaked newspaper and wiped off with a soft crumpled one...

the best thing for windows and mirrors is meths.ive used it for years and its ok

Someone may have mentioned this already but No.1 on my list is to run a damp sponge up and down your wiper blade rubber until no black gunk remains! This little job is often overlooked when cleaning a car and makes all the difference.

It doesn't matter how clean your screen is, if your blade rubbers are dirty they will leave smears.

I also use Autoglym glass polish which I find cuts through most traffic grime.

Hope this helps.

Rain- X is great stuff,often you don't even need to use your wipers especially at motorway speeds.

griffin5 said:
Rain- X is great stuff,often you don't even need to use your wipers especially at motorway speeds.

As long as you keep applying it. I agree that it does work well but once it has been on for a while and starts to be less effective so you have to use the wipers, all off a sudden you can find yourself with the smearing from hell.

Found that out on the M25 one dark, wet night and it was horrible.

So as with others I confine use now to side and rear windows plus lights

griffin5 said:
I drove home from work with no wiper at all in the rain (died halfway up the screen). Even overtook trucks on the motorway at 80mph+

You can see tail lamps pretty well but everything else is a blur. :eek:

griffin5 said:
Another miserable Scot :D

I've been using Rain-X for years - and confirm what Griffin5 & Shude say.

At speeds over 55 mph the water beads and disappears off the screen. I've had a few funny looks, belting along in torrential rain with the wiper off!

Autoglym works perfectly fine for me also. I always clean the wiper blade with it at the same time and the screen is utterly streak free :)

Stu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom