clean your rad and matrix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A

Ashley

OK the cold weather is here and we all want a warm car, now I have noticed a lot of posts on rads and hater matrix.

This may be of help, and can easily be used on the hater matrix; I have done both on my w210.

With a cunning plan, From work i rescued a stainless steal sump pump with a discharge pipe, inch and a quarter, standard demestic waste pipe size.
I got a rubber bucket and put the pump in it infront of the Paj, got some waste pipe( good old work ) and fittings and a couple of flexible waste pipes all inch and quarter, from the pump straight up tured 90 degree to engine bay ,flexable waste pipe conected to the end, removed the rad pipe from stat housing and pushed the end of the flex into the rad pipe, ( a perfect fit,) the other end of the rad pipe still connected to rad.
top hose was disconnected from rad and pushed out of the way and the second flexible waste pipe was fitted to the rad ( inch and quater McAlpine compression fitting in plastic) this gave a perfect fit. a waste pipe was fitted to this to return back to bucket.
Filled the bucket with clean water and ran for 5 min's worked a treat.
drained bucket and refilled with clean water and used a descaller that most plumbers use called DS3 made by fernox, this was dumped into bucket and pump turned on and left for 1/2 hour on return water looked like oxtail soup.
Drained out bucket and found about 1/2 a mug full of scale and bits.
repeated this about 4 or 5 times for times ranging from 1/2 hour to hour depending what else i was doing, the last time i tried a holts rad flush and found this to be less effective than DS3,
then just clean water was put through all pipes removed and refitted refilled with water, run car, drained, refilled with anti freese.
all early sighns seem to be good and no heat problems.

Pictures below.

p151927c.jpg

p151927a.jpg

p151927b.jpg

Yes a treat on the matrix, before I first did it my car was never getting warm. Then afterwards not just warm but hot. It’s my opinion without getting the pipes off you can not clean the matrix, and shooting water though it does not treat the rust etc.

I would be very concerned using acidic cleaning products in a mixed metal system with aluminium

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom