Cleaning AMG Exhaust Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSTurbo50

Car
W212 E250 CDi AMG Sport
WHat is the best cleaning product to use in order to get the exhaust tips looking like new on my W204 C63? Im guessing metal wool and an awful lot of elbow grease should get them looking like new?

I use a Meguiars NXT metal polish from Halfords , good easy to use stuff

Autosol here too.

How long before they get dirty again (generally?)

There’s no point they only get dirty again 🤷‍♂️

Do they come off like that? I thought they were welded on?

There’s no point they only get dirty again 🤷‍♂️
Coarse there is, there always gonna get dirty, so you just wash them, but if they have started to rust, they look awful, so get them back to gleaming again, then keep on top of them, tatty, rusty tailpipes look terrible. :) 👍

A nylon pan scourer will work very well, in my experience, without too much effort, then finish off with Autosol or whatever similar product takes your fancy.

Cif works well if there's no Autosol to hand.

The C63 exhaust tips are welded on.

They are chrome plated stainless steel so there is a chrome plating to be careful with.

Metal polish works fine but if they are really dirty (they usually are) metal polish will take forever. Steel wool won't scratch chrome so it'll get the tips in decent shape much, much quicker than polish. Finish up with some metal polish though.

If neglected...........and I am in the mood.

Start with steel wool - comes in many grades, so ensure you go with fine or extra fine. Coarse can leave scratch marks

Move onto Autosol on cotton rag or microfibre pad/cloth, then clean it and "make it shine"

Finish with Duralit or Brasso. (Optional step).

Wax with an alloy wheel product. (We are now into detailing territory)

Same approach works with welded on products but takes more time/effort and cursing due to the gaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom