Cleaning AMG Gloss Black Alloys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

liamt

Car
2022, AMG A35 Premium Plus, Patagonia Red
Hello,

I was wondering whether anyone could recommend some decent Allow Wheel Cleaner for my Gloss Black Alloys on my A Class that are part of the Night Package? Since I've had the car I've been using the alloy cleaner that came as part of the Star Guard kit because the other cleaner I used to use is not suitable. The Star Guard Wheel cleaner is obviously pretty pants so I was wondering what others are using that is completely safe?

Liam

Bilberry Wheel Cleaner which can be used neat foe heavily soiled wheels or diluted and is acid free.

Thanks Peter, I've had a quick look at Bilberry. I have the Valet Pro Snow Foam which is great so I'd expect this to be of good quality too. Looking at the comments on Amazon there is no mention of success stories on black wheels but as it is Acid Free I would expect this to be safe. My Brother has a Peugeot 208 GTI 30th Anniversary with black matt black alloys. May try it on his car first :D

Continuing on the same subject: what shall I use on my GTechniq C5 treated wheels to clean them - just water (seems to be enough, for now at least)?

Don't want to strip the nano-coating from wheels.

Double post

Last edited:
Continuing on the same subject: what shall I use on my GTechniq C5 treated wheels to clean them - just water (seems to be enough, for now at least)?

I plan on using just car shampoo regularly, avoiding a build up of brake dust, and the need for anything stronger.

Gloss are you sure mine are Matt on the NP.
There a bitch to clean on the inside more than the outside but a bitch anyway I now wish they were gloss.
I'm taking it to a Detailer today who's going to seal them.
Hopefully this does the trick.

I plan on using just car shampoo regularly, avoiding a build up of brake dust, and the need for anything stronger.

I only had my newly refurbished wheels treated with GTechniq C5 last month, so even a gentle sprinkle of water removes everything at the moment :thumb:

I'll do as you suggested - stick to car shampoo, thanks.

Gloss are you sure mine are Matt on the NP.
There a bitch to clean on the inside more than the outside but a bitch anyway I now wish they were gloss.
I'm taking it to a Detailer today who's going to seal them.
Hopefully this does the trick.
Yes that are Matt...No idea why I thought they were gloss :doh: I suppose it is because they are shiny when clean due to the star guard sealant put on by the dealer. Actually that reminds me it needs doing again. I'm just looking for some decent stuff that isn't going to screw the alloys up. I usually get the thick off with the pressure washer, apply the star guard wheel cleaner (rubbish) and then use a soft wheel brush to get into the nooks and crannies. Problem is road tar, getting that off is a nightmare.

Been looking for a different wheel wax might give the GTechniq C5 a go.
Only got enough rim wax for another coat.

But like you say regular washing stops brake dust building up.

And having only 5 spokes makes it a cinch to clean right to the back of my wheels:thumb:

I'd steer you to CarPro's CQuartz DLUX, it is the same glass coating formulation yet you will get double the amount for less than the price of the Gtechniq C5. I've had it on my 5-spoke rims since last June and the crud just falls off when washed with plain water and a Wheel Woolie non-scratch brush. I did overcoat it with Finish Kare FK1000P High Temp sealant wax at the beginning of winter for no other reason than I happened to have some knocking around. This added sacrificial layer now makes the rims a beading demon. FK1000P gives superb winter protection to the whole car, is as hard as nails and lasts for 6 months whilst buffing up to an outrageous shine.

CarPro C.Quartz DLUX

Finish Kare FK1000P Hi-Temp Sealant Wax

Autosmart " Smart Wheels ".
Non acidic alloy wheel cleaner. Concentrated formula so use dilute for normal weekly cleaning or on wheels that are loved and cherished as per yours.
Simply spray all over wheel and leave for around 5 minutes, then jet wash off, simple!
For heavily contaminated wheels with baked on brake dust use neat with a soft cloth or soft brush.

Lol, use bodywork shampoo, otherwise you'll just be dragging contamination, which will affect the coating even more.

I don't find the need to use a dedicated wheel cleaner on routine washes, just the same shampoo as I wash the car with. Wheels are also treated with Gtechniq C5, same wheels as yours actually.

Occasionally I use a fallout remover, to get rid of the baked on brake dust.

Last edited:
:thumb: Thanks, any particular brand / type you'd recommend?

Anything that you use for your car really. I prefer dodo juice products, autofinesse lather is also nice. Megs and Autoglym aren't bad either.

Chemical Guys Wheelguard is pretty decent at repelling the brake dust.

Couple of coats will make cleaning the wheels a lot easier. :)

Gave my wheels a quick wash and buff
Before

Quick wash with a brush and mitt

Then a good buffing with a micro fiber cloth and hey presto

Still got some stubborn brake dust I'm finding hard to remove

But the back wheels clean up like a shinny new pin

Took me about an hour do all four wheels and a coat of tyre shine
Cheers
Ben:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom