Cleaning an expansion bottle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deadly Dave

Car
1988 300CE & 1965 230SL
The bottle on my 300CE has brown stains on the inside. Not exactly a major problem but I want to clean it. There are nooks and crannies that cant be reached with a bottle brush or bent coat hanger with cloth stuck to it. So, is there something I can leave it in to soak and clean (removed from the car obviously) ??

Dishwasher tablet, baking soda, bleach. Take your pick

As above except I added a handful of small 1/4" pebbles and gave it a good shaking-up.

That worked!! :bannana:

I have stuck it into a bucket of bot water with two dishwasher tablets and a squirt of washing-up liquid. I will leave it soak 24hours. This is the before pic.

DSC05910_zps455d446e.jpg

The plastic its self discolors. The only remedy is replacement. Give Wunderpartz a call. :thumb:

A bucket of bot water? Hmmm..

The plastic its self discolors. The only remedy is replacement. Give Wunderpartz a call. :thumb:
I agree! I always just get a new one - it's around 20£ for w124 and with all the hassle cleaning, they still wont be nearly new!

Well, it didn't clean, as said above, the plastic is discoloured. Is the Febi one good enough quality ?

It took a lot of time to make the bot water too :D

Last edited:
The Febi one I got is just as good as the original, and I can actually see the coolant level now, which is a treat.

Check all the usual suspects for prices, ECP, GSF, Mister-auto.co.uk and even ebay.

I had to put the brown tank back in as my local motor factors don't have a new one and don't have it listed in their Febi catalogues ! They are checking with Febi.

Thanks for the help, hopefully I will have a new one in in a week or two.

I had to put the brown tank back in as my local motor factors don't have a new one and don't have it listed in their Febi catalogues ! They are checking with Febi.

Thanks for the help, hopefully I will have a new one in in a week or two.

Have you tried Wunderpartz (as suggested above)? 01302 351421

No, I am in Ireland. No Wunder shops here.

I think you will find that the suggestion was that you contact the shop as there is only one and is, I believe on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom