Cleaning and softening the seats: what is best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Mirror Man

Car
W211 E270 CDI Elegance.Rover 75 Tourer
I have a 2004 W211 with AMARETTA/LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE - BLACK/ANTH.

Amaretta is a kind of man made leather and isn't leather at all. I'm hoping this isn't what the seats are covered in.

Nappa/Semi-Aniline is a high end leather: I'm hoping this is what the seats are covered in. Please tell me if you think this isn't correct.

Anyway, the covering of the seats are a little hard so I thought Id treat then with some sort of cleaner softener. What would you suggest????

Different parts of the seat will be covered with the various mentioned materials. All to do with wear characteristics and cost.

As all the materials are coated to some degree, I'd suggest a soft cloth moistened with a mild soap solution. Wool detergent is good. Don't over wet, wipe down with another clean cloth and clean water. Dry off naturally.

Proprietary leather cleaners can be used but won't be any better. Conditioners will be a waste as they cannot be absorbed and may attract dirt and grit.

If you like the smell of leather an occasional wipe down with something like Dr. Leather wipes would be ok, buff off with a soft cloth though.

None of the above will 'soften' the feel of the leather, it is what it is. Unless you want to retrim with a good nappa leather overall. I did this with my S203 that had leather twin from the factory. Rather hard and unforgiving, so retrimmed with a naked nappa, very soft but a chore to keep clean.

There's a plethora of car care products dedicated to treating leather, BUT I use this for my leather steering wheel:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BHZX18O/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Its a fantastic product, makes the leather soft but not oily.

My car's seats however are covered in Artico (read: plastic), and these just get treated with a dump cloth from time to time.

The S211 is what it is. You've got a mixture of materials on there: some leather most not. Pure napa leather seats disappeared along time ago - even in the £150k cars.

However....... most 13 year old car interiors look dreadful because they haven't been cleaned and protected since they came out of the factory. Once cleaned and protected, they can usually be made to look pretty much like new again (barring bona fide damage / substantial wear to bolsters etc). Just work through the instructions from "all the usual sources" about how to clean a car interior.

So, are the seats in my car leather or plastic?

Anyone remember how soft/hard they were to the touch when new?

You've got a mixture of materials on there: some leather most not. Pure napa leather seats disappeared along time ago - even in the £150k cars. I have a car that cost £100k new and I couldn't describe the leather as feeling soft.

The S211 "nappa" leather doesn't feel soft to the touch, but does feel like leather - well the leather does which is only the stuff on the back and base. All other parts of the seat will be glorified plastic that looks like leather: edge of base, edge of backrest, back of backrest etc etc.

And that's because it wears well, and will look great at 12 years old. Leather would be ready for retirement by now.

But describing "not soft" on a bulletin board is unreliable. Better go touch some seats - either in a showroom, or at a trade fair.

A month after the last post I know but I've just now been cleaning the rear seat (The card she reads=208A LEATHER - GRAY) with AutoGlym Leather Cleaner and Leather Balm with the aid of some terry toweling, a soft brush and a toothbrush for the seams. The results so far on a 14 year old car interior have been very good and I'm very happy with the results.

...and if the battery keeps the charge it's getting overnight when it goes back in I'll be even happier!

For years, I have used baby wipes on my seats to good effect.

Gliptone leather care products work really well I’ve found. Also gives the interior a lovely leather smell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom