Cleaning brake dust - Black AMG wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

db1

Hi, What is the recommended product for cleaning the black AMG wheels from brake dust? I have read that some of the products are very acidic and can damage the wheels. Any recommendations welcomed..
Thanks DB1

Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner. I started a thread asking for the best non acidic or alkali cleaner and it was mentioned many times. It's PH neutral and also have fallout remover. Now that I have used it, I don't use anything else. Smells a bit though.

Thanks. Just ordered some! Never heard of them before! Seem to have great reviews.

Bh is one of the best for real heavy cleans, I use it once a month, and use garage therapy wheel shampoo for maintenance washes in between

Lots of different stuff available for wheels. I clean mine off the car once a year with Carbon Collective stuff including a ceramic coating and then regularly with Meguiars spray.

Wasting money buying cleaners, spend circa £40 on coatings such as Gtechniq C5, or the superior KKD re-volve and coat your wheels in them

Brake dust will simply bounce off the coating, and general dirt. Actually quite impressive what it suppresses

For really, really soiled wheels that have been coated, diluted citrus wash or ph wheel cleaners such as Very cherry (autobrite) or Viper (Ez car care) are more than sufficient

I'm using Auto Finesse Iron Out at the moment, but when its gone I'll be trying the Bilt Hamber product. Their double speed wax is very good.

I use ValetPro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner. I tried Bilt Hamber and didnt find it any better so I have gone back to Bilberry. Bilt Hamber is more expensive by a long way and smells horrible. :)

Always used Bilt Hamber, love the stuff.

As said about the use for Bilt Hamber will depend on the wheel and the level of dust.

I have all my wheels coated in CC Platinum Wheels, a good coating will go a long way and make cleaning wheels EASY!

thanks for all the replies. I will report back on the BH once I have cleaned the wheels...the coating is a good idea too...will look into that.

Can vouch for KKD, works really well,

Reactions: AMV
a damp cloth suffices for me...no fancy chemicals distilled from the glowing leaves of a tabacco plant..

Usually I just wash my wheels with a mitt and car shampoo but it's relatively easy as I clean them every two weeks and it's done 99% motorway miles so not a huge amount of dust. With my S Class and CLS rims, they're big enough and a simple design to enable me to get my hands through and do the insides of the wheels too.

That said, I'll give them a spray with some Autoglym Magma every so often. It's an iron fallout remover, PH neutral as well and certainly does a decent job. Spray on, leave to dwell then use a wetted soft detailing brush to loosen up any dirt and rinse.

Have a look at the second generation ceramic wheel coatings now starting to appear. At £37.95 for 30ml this one is better value and longer lasting than the ubiquitous Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour:

KKD R-EVOLVE

I like this idea. I will have to consider this next time I have a car with pristine wheels or after a refurbish.

My wheels are a few years old with a few minor scratches. I have to admit I am a bit lazy when it comes to detailing. I protect the wheels using a simple spray wax (Armor All Shield) after washing with a mitt. It makes cleaning much easier because the dirt doesn't embed into the wheel. Waxing is simply spraying it on with no hard work of applying it.

However, over the years, I've probably spent more than the coating mentioned above.

I was about the pull the trigger on a bottle of this until I read its not suitable for matt wheel finishes😞

Try Carbon Collective Platinum Wheel Coating. One bottle can coat 2 sets of wheels two to 3 coats.
Works well and last well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom