Cleaning centre caps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yellowbentines

Car
w211 E220 CDI estate, previously w203 C180K
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for cleaning ground on brake dust and grime from centre caps? I have just had my new (pre-owned!) turbines refurbished and would like shiny centre caps to complement them. I know I can buy a new set but if there's an easy way to clean up the existing then there's no need!

Thanks in advance folks.

Elbow grease! :D

Only kidding - just use some gentle car polish and a soft cloth (microfibre).

Should clean them up like new :)

Will

Cheers Will, I do have some Autoglym SRP in the garage and was going to try that anyway, maybe wise to try on a small area first in case it discolours them which is what I was worried about.

Soft cloth and SRP will be fine :)

They are hub caps for wheels after all ;)

Will

Just a thought: Autoglym Super Resin Polish is mildly abrasive -- not good for plastics? Perhaps, after washing, better to use their Extra Gloss Protection, which is not a polish but a sealant?

SRP is so mild that it'll be fine for plastics. The very slight 'polishing' action is what is needed to remove the stubborn brake dust staining etc. The abrasives should break down as the polish is worked and should leave a nice finish.

I'd be more concerned about the type of cloth used - a soft microfibre will be much safer than rough polishing stockinette cloth.

I've polished several sets of centre caps in this manner, actually using the polish to remove some scratches etc.

We are after all only talking about hub/centre caps from wheels here :eek:

Will

We are after all only talking about hub/centre caps from wheels here :eek:

true, but all 4 wheels have been expertly refurbished (I'm amazed at the finish as they're the 22 spoke AMGs that must be very difficult to do properly) so centre caps that are anything less than perfect just won't do!

If I ruin them trying then I'll buy a new set :D

I'm not brave enough to try t-cut, I've heard nothing but bad reports on detailing forums.

They'll be fine...

SRP is very mild. If you can polish a whole car with it dozens of times, it'll be find on some brake-dust baked centre caps. And you've got nothing to lose really, if you're not happy with them you can always replace them.

Will

Bilberry Safe Wheel Cleaner - 1L

This stuff is great at cleaning off stubborn brakedust. I've used it and worked brilliantly.

Took a couple of applications on my dad's old discovery, but after taht the wheels looked great.

And it does smell nice too

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom