cleaning chrom tailpipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mickl

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK280 W209
can anyone recommend a good cleaner to use on chrome tailpipes. with the bad weather these past couple of weeks, a thick layer of road grime has built up on the tailpipe.

Autoglym metal polish or even T-cut followed by a good polish/wax.

would the polish remove the road grime? I don't want to use anything too abrasive to remove it in case I scratch the chrome

mickl said:
would the polish remove the road grime? I don't want to use anything too abrasive to remove it in case I scratch the chrome

Chrome is a Very hard metal. You'll be ok with any cleaner or polish, just don't use sandpaper. :rolleyes:

I have had excellent results using a tar remover - not micky-mouse polish types, but a proper solvent liquid (to dissolve the tar). Perhaps try white spirit or similar if not available, then follow by a good polish.

Cheers,

Will

mickl said:
with the bad weather these past couple of weeks, a thick layer of road grime has built up on the tailpipe.

Hmm. Sounds familiar :D

Attachments

• crud.jpg
    crud.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 82
Graham, that's shocking! :eek:

(I used to have a Golf GTi 16v that I fitted a Sebring exhaust to. The tips were similar to your AMG ones. I used to carry a cloth in the car solely to clean the tips ... which I would do at every opportunity ... like every day. The car could be as dirty as yours, but the tips would be sparkling :D . Hmm, should I be admitting to that on a public forum? ;) )

GrahamC230K said:
My AMG pipes used to get like that after one winter day's driving, I think it's the dirty road/water etc and the hot exhaust pipes. I used to use autoglym metal polish on 'em.

GrahamC230K said:

you been sneaking round to photograph my car? :confused: :p

silverclk230 said:
fine wire wool

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Dont what ever you do, use wire wool!! Fine or not. It will scratch the chrome to hell!!!

I used to be a valeter and as, Jimmy said, autoglym metal polish is the bees knees. Failing that, Brasso does a fine job.

Stu.

stwat said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Dont what ever you do, use wire wool!! Fine or not. It will scratch the chrome to hell!!!

I used to be a valeter and as, Jimmy said, autoglym metal polish is the bees knees. Failing that, Brasso does a fine job.

Stu.

Seconded! :eek:

After all, it's only dirt! You are not rubbing rust off a garden gate! :crazy:

Cheers,

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom