Cleaning cloth hood - W208 Cab

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GordyB

What is the best way to make my cloth roof look like new? It has a few mould/mildew spots that won't come off plus it appears to be lightened by the sun in some places. Rear edges have some mould marks too.

So far I've tried normal washing, scrubbing with nailbrush and toothbrush, car shampoo, carpet shampoo and most detergents from under the sink......

Car is a 1998 CLK cabriolet, roof looks original equipment.

Thanks

I water blasted my mould from a distance and it has never come back. Hood is fine, but you need to know what you are doing with the blaster, don't get too close and keep the wand moving.....

Renovo will recolour, MB do not make a recolour product, only a protectant. Neither do Haartz.

My brother used a product from Auto Glym on his audi that worked ok

I water blasted my mould from a distance and it has never come back. Hood is fine, but you need to know what you are doing with the blaster, don't get too close and keep the wand moving.....

Renovo will recolour, MB do not make a recolour product, only a protectant. Neither do Haartz.
Be very careful if you use a pressure washer,i would only do it as a last resort if all else fails,don't forget to use mb soft top sealant twice a year to protect against leaks & concentrate on the seams/stitched area:)

This tip is taken from an Audi forum

"Green mould? Use Milton baby bottle sterilising tablets and a soft toothbrush. The fluid will kill any mould spores. Mix as directed and apply solution with a nail brush and gently scrub. Leave for 5 mins and rinse off."

first call a mobile valet and ask them to do an outside valet on car with detail cleaning of the roof, I'm in Canterbury so anyone needs one let me know.

if you are adamant on doing it yourself then this is what you need.
autosmart G101 this is a degreaser that can be used for everything.
Autosmart bio brisk high foam shampoo.
Sponge and brush.
Jet wash and wet vac.

Spray the hood with G101 and brush the Edges and then brush the whole hood, light jet wash off and then apply bio brisk shampoo (mixed in with warm water) with a sponge and then lightly brush and now for the most important part, suck the shampoo off using a wet vac (numatic) after a few minutes.

You can seal or protect it if you like but I never bother, remember fabric should not be washed often so dont go mental.

I have read somewhere that when using a brush to clean the soft top, move the brush with the lay of the pile, not against it.

I have read somewhere that when using a brush to clean the soft top, move the brush with the lay of the pile, not against it.

Kind of agree but when you think about it it don't make sense, it's dirty and needs to be cleaned so you need to agitate the soiled arears before suction. With roofs I don't know of any fabric that drives up to 100mph in all conditions colecting dust shrapnel from train lines sap mould bird **** and then to be asked not to use a jet wash or brush in a certain way does not add up IMO.

Anyone who is going to do this just use common sense and be careful.

Last edited:
Did my 968 cabriolet roof with Renovo shampoo (neat) using a small nail brush, rinsed off by hose with lots of water, followed by Renovo colourant then Renovo proofer. Read and follow the instructions, especially the one about "do not fold the roof for at least 24 hours after completing the job" or you will get crease marks - ask me how I know! Apart from that, it looks new.

Well this has saved me posting my own thread with the same question... Gonna be very lazy and take mine to my friends garage ask him the same question and no doubt he'll get his valet guy onto it and fingers crossed he'll demonstrate the process... I may just film it too (if not i'll get scrubbing)

I managed to get rid of some horrible stains on my blue CLK roof using steam and a brush. The steam was from the hose of a wallpaper stripper..
I've not reproofed yet but have loads of Fabsil which worked a treat in the past..

Have a look at the UKSaabs forum for various posts on this:

Recommendation on there is to use Miltons sterilising tablets for mould / mildew, Johnsons Blue Baby Bath for cleaning with a soft nailbrush and if you want to waterproof / protect use Fabsil (not the spray on version). Also recommend that you dont use a Powerwasher.....hose will do.

I have a Saab Convertible and have used the Baby bath and Fabsil and comes up great and beads well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom