Cleaning COMAND screen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gazwould

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250 CDI
The low sun has alerted me !

2018-11-26 11.06.00.jpg

Product to use and method ?

Looks like the protective coating has started to rub off.

Common issue.

You can either:

(a) replace the screen, not a big job and there are plenty of second-hand ones on eBay. The trick is to find a second-hand unit that is in perfect condition....

(b) some suggest that the remaining anti-glare coat can be removed using mildly abrasive paste. Not a 'fix' as such, but it is a low-cost way of keeping your screen looking uniform.

(c) live with it - it is only visible when the screen is switched-off and under certain light condition.

PS - if you are using a local hand car wash, I recommend placing a piece of cloth covering the screen, to ensure that the car wash guys don't try and clean it.

'Savvies' on amazon or direct from Germeny do screen protector films for all comand screens.
Had one on mine for 5/6 years without problems just needs a wipe over.
Once you've sorted the screen

Might have a go with the Farecla G10 then .

Alot of these so called protective coatings come to haunt us , headlights being a biggie as it's the UV coating that actually oxidises .

I remember seeing something about this in a post by Television (RIP) although it may have been on t'other side. IIRC it was partial loss of the protective coating, and he suggested removing the rest of the coating (as suggested above) but I can;t remember how he r4ecommended removing the rest!

Samsung recommend cleaning marks off of their screens with a dampened micro fibre cloth followed by a dry one. Might be worth a try.

Well the anti glare has been damaged,I can offer one way to sort this and that is to remove the anti glare left on the screen,I have found that Silvo will do this,you can buy the small tin in some supermarkets,Morrisons sell it,inside is wadding impregnated with a cleaning solution,you will only need a small amount and rub very gently ,cleaning of with a soft cloth,a cotton bud for the corners but again very gently,once you have cleaned it you can run it as is or buy a anti glare film and cut it to size,and with the load of Silvo wadding you have over you can polish the family silver.

Well the anti glare has been damaged,I can offer one way to sort this and that is to remove the anti glare left on the screen,I have found that Silvo will do this,you can buy the small tin in some supermarkets,Morrisons sell it,inside is wadding impregnated with a cleaning solution,you will only need a small amount and rub very gently ,cleaning of with a soft cloth,a cotton bud for the corners but again very gently,once you have cleaned it you can run it as is or buy a anti glare film and cut it to size,and with the load of Silvo wadding you have over you can polish the family silver.
Silvo and Brasso are fabulous products I often use for 'cleaning' modern products and they've been around since the job of 'butler' was invented! LOL

I think Meths will take off the UV protection layer, but if you want to keep whatever is left, try the damp microfibre method. It worked perfectly to remove our Grandson's greasy fingerprints from our 4k TV screen.

For general cleaning I always use Boots Lens Cleaner and a lens microfibre cloth for both screen and my glasses. I replace the cloth every few weeks.
Only the microfibre removes cleaner residue and we have had instances where a tissue for instance removes the anti glare coating on both.

... and we have had instances where a tissue for instance removes the anti glare coating on both.

A tissue contains wood pulp, and as such, should only be used for blowing your nose, not cleaning anything as it'll just scratch the surface! :)

A tissue contains wood pulp, and as such, should only be used for blowing your nose, not cleaning anything as it'll just scratch the surface! :)

- and some lens cleaners should not be used for bloomed, or coated, lens.
There are probably others but Boots lens cleaner is safe.

Hi,
Use Meguairs Plast X and micro fibre cloth and cotton buds for the edges.
Meguairs Plast X does state not to be used on SAT NAV screens, but that's because it removes the anti glare coating on them and that's what you want to do in this case so not an issue. Once you have cleaned it off use a screen protector as stated earlier in the thread. I used this method on my Audi SAT NAV few years ago and its still perfect.

Going to get some later from Halfords.

Not a fan of screen protectors , will the finish of the Meguires Plast RX be satisfactory without one ?

Here's a newer Merc with just 26K !

2018-12-04 11.29.00.png

Not much cop these screens !

So I cleaned mine with a damp micro fibre , very weak washing up solution prior to using Plast RX and though I'd park in the same place and time of day to get if any improvement noticeable .

2018-12-04 11.23.49.jpg

See that mark that was me just accidentally touching the screen so it highlights any grease , I guees the screens state was from the oils said to evaporate out of the plastics .

A few light scratches but not worth dealing with now .

2018-12-04 11.24.51.jpg

Not wasting the Plast RX as I understand it's great on the headlights .

And it is , surprisingly little effort and time for the result .

Shame they're a bit peppered from stone chips , maybe a full on summer resto starting with 600 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom