Cleaning Leather - "Flash Eraser" - Yes, Really!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GregE240

Car
1990 500SL
All,

Thanks to my learned colleagues on this quite superb site, I purchased a twin pack of Gliptone Liquid Leather for the SL, and gave it a go the other weekend. It was good, but could not get out the ingrained dirt in the leather, which was quite disappointing. Not only that, it wouldn't budge the scuffs on the leather, and being cream coloured, quite annoying.

So I had a trawl of a couple of other websites, and found that someone got good results using a Flash Eraser - these are to be found in the cleaning aisle of the local supermarket, and are used for getting scuff marks off paint. I thought I've got nothing to lose, so I'll give it a go.

WOW - do they work or what!! All dirt removed in a couple of swipes, and finished off with the Gliptone cleaner and conditioner.

Highly recommended, particularly for those of us with light coloured hides!!

Greg

GregE240 said:
All,

Thanks to my learned colleagues on this quite superb site, I purchased a twin pack of Gliptone Liquid Leather for the SL, and gave it a go the other weekend. It was good, but could not get out the ingrained dirt in the leather, which was quite disappointing. Not only that, it wouldn't budge the scuffs on the leather, and being cream coloured, quite annoying.

So I had a trawl of a couple of other websites, and found that someone got good results using a Flash Eraser - these are to be found in the cleaning aisle of the local supermarket, and are used for getting scuff marks off paint. I thought I've got nothing to lose, so I'll give it a go.

WOW - do they work or what!! All dirt removed in a couple of swipes, and finished off with the Gliptone cleaner and conditioner.

Highly recommended, particularly for those of us with light coloured hides!!

Greg

Works really well but if you press hard enough it will go through the top layer and take all of the colouring off.

Be sure to follow up with a conditioning agent.

Yes, bit dangerous using Flash as it contains bleach, though only a small amount.

Well I risked it and tried it myself. My God does this stuff work well.

simply get the pad damp, wipe on and all dirt comes off. Can't see any ingredients that say it contains bleach, I assume it works on the actual construction of the foam pad and it's ability to penetrate all surfaces, as after a bit of use the pad disintegrates.

I'd recommend some leather conditioner afterwards, just to keep it form cracking, did my whole interior in 5 minutes, great tip.

Glad it worked for you, David.

Took me 2 pads, but my goodness, did the seats come up clean.

No discolouration of the pad so it clearly wasn't lifting pigment from the seats. Gave it a once over with Gliptone cleaner and then conditioner, WELL pleased with the results.

Greg

I have my pads at the ready - now just need to get my car back from the garage where its been for a couple of weeks!!!

Will report soon ... I hope.

My understanding is the pads work on their construction, not (bleach) content too - must say that any cleaning will be followed up by conditioning though.

Agree with all the above - cleans up the leather (cream) a treat but is clearly not something I would want to do on a regular basis. Take extra care on any leather which is already cracked/thin (in fact - avoid altogether).

And yes - do follow with conditioner.

Hi David.

I just sent you a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom