Cleaning leather

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marku

Car
Viano Ambiente 2.2CDI W639, S-Class 450SE W116
Any suggestions for cleaning really grubby leather? Just looked at it in the sunshine and can't believe I have been sitting on it. It is light grey and looking very dirty. Tried some proprietary cleaners, like Simoniz, but although did clean them up a bit still look poor.

Others have used APC diluted to good effect.

Gliptone cleaner applied with a nail brush, gently scrubbed usually works well.

If this is for your 116 or any other car with real leather, then you need the good stuff: Meguiar's Leather Cleaner, Meguiar's Leather Conditioner.

For a thorough clean don't use anything, and I mean anything other than a natural horse hair brush, scrub very gently and only resort to it when the leather is really neglected. Wipe off with a microfiber towel.

For your monthly cleaning wipe the leather with cleaner and microfiber towel.

Always apply conditioner afterwards with the foam pad or a microfiber towel, leave it for a few minutes and wipe off the excess with a clean microfiber towel.

These will last you for years.

lb-13-3.jpg

autogeek_2268_501042380

When I had the front seats of my 968 professionally done I was amazed how he started. In the couple of weeks between booking and the job being done, he asked me to treat the leather every couple of days with Gliptone leather conditioner. On the day, I'd taken the seats out and set them up on a workbench in the garage, he tilted the seat backs all the way back then started with a scrubbing brush and soapy water!! After a good cleaning and conditioning to get rid of creases, he re-coloured the seats and sealed them, they looked superb, cost me £220CIH. The man I used must be good, he does the interiors for Porsche Tonbridge and Tonbridge Coachworks, all high end cars!

When I had the front seats of my 968 professionally done I was amazed how he started. In the couple of weeks between booking and the job being done, he asked me to treat the leather every couple of days with Gliptone leather conditioner. On the day, I'd taken the seats out and set them up on a workbench in the garage, he tilted the seat backs all the way back then started with a scrubbing brush and soapy water!! After a good cleaning and conditioning to get rid of creases, he re-coloured the seats and sealed them, they looked superb, cost me £220CIH. The man I used must be good, he does the interiors for Porsche Tonbridge and Tonbridge Coachworks, all high end cars!

Chris, do you have contact details. My drivers seat needs some TLC and I see you are pretty close to me so assume the leather guy is as well.
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Keith Abraham, Trimline Systems (Tunbridge Wells and Gatwick) Ltd, 07778 262509/020 8291 9297, [email protected] - that email address will die on 31st May 2017 as Orange/EE are closing their email.

He may be a bit slow responding to email - took a while last time I had to contact him (about 18 months ago).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom