Cleaning leather

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Marku, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Marku

Marku Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Viano Ambiente 2.2CDI W639, S-Class 450SE W116
    Any suggestions for cleaning really grubby leather? Just looked at it in the sunshine and can't believe I have been sitting on it. It is light grey and looking very dirty. Tried some proprietary cleaners, like Simoniz, but although did clean them up a bit still look poor.

2. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2016
    Others have used APC diluted to good effect.

Gliptone cleaner applied with a nail brush, gently scrubbed usually works well.

3. shadenfroh

shadenfroh Active Member

Car:
    CLK 320 '00
    If this is for your 116 or any other car with real leather, then you need the good stuff: Meguiar's Leather Cleaner, Meguiar's Leather Conditioner.

For a thorough clean don't use anything, and I mean anything other than a natural horse hair brush, scrub very gently and only resort to it when the leather is really neglected. Wipe off with a microfiber towel.

For your monthly cleaning wipe the leather with cleaner and microfiber towel.

Always apply conditioner afterwards with the foam pad or a microfiber towel, leave it for a few minutes and wipe off the excess with a clean microfiber towel.

These will last you for years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. tanuie

tanuie Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C Class 350 Sports Edition Coupe W203
    I always use Gliptone.

5. Chrishazle

Chrishazle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 1993 Porsche 968 Tip Cab.
    When I had the front seats of my 968 professionally done I was amazed how he started. In the couple of weeks between booking and the job being done, he asked me to treat the leather every couple of days with Gliptone leather conditioner. On the day, I'd taken the seats out and set them up on a workbench in the garage, he tilted the seat backs all the way back then started with a scrubbing brush and soapy water!! After a good cleaning and conditioning to get rid of creases, he re-coloured the seats and sealed them, they looked superb, cost me £220CIH. The man I used must be good, he does the interiors for Porsche Tonbridge and Tonbridge Coachworks, all high end cars!

6. Denis O

Denis O Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL350 R230
    Chris, do you have contact details. My drivers seat needs some TLC and I see you are pretty close to me so assume the leather guy is as well.
    Thanks

7. OP
    OP
    Marku

Marku Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Viano Ambiente 2.2CDI W639, S-Class 450SE W116
    Thanks to everyone for the advice.

8. Chrishazle

Chrishazle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 1993 Porsche 968 Tip Cab.
    Keith Abraham, Trimline Systems (Tunbridge Wells and Gatwick) Ltd, 07778 262509/020 8291 9297, Keith@ktrim.orangehome.co.uk - that email address will die on 31st May 2017 as Orange/EE are closing their email.

He may be a bit slow responding to email - took a while last time I had to contact him (about 18 months ago).