Cleaning Mass Air Sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bennesspipers

MB Enthusiast
Car
'95 W202 C220 Elegance saloon & 2001 C240 V6 Sport Estate
Is it acceptable to clean the Mass Air Sensor element with aerosol carburettor cleaner,just to blast away any unseen deposits on it ?

Somewhere I have read to put it in a bag with alcohol, but if you blast it with aerosol cleaner whatever you remove is going in, if you take it off you can avoid that and use something like servisol it might be better suited and just as available.
I think carb cleaner leaves a residue.

Last edited:
I was intending to take it off anyway, but shant use it if it leaves a residue, thanks

i was taught at collage never to clean them!
but if some one has tryed it and it worked its woth a try!
i had to buy a new GEN one in the end with my kompressor after buying a Pattern part and setting light to my bumper

i only clean them if they are oily or possibly dusty. the cdi engines can get a lot of oil on them, and the 111 compressor can get very oily indeed. they will only get dusty if the air filters have not been installed properly, and this happens! all too often air filters are fitted badly letting air in round the edges, if i change a sensor i always check the filter fitting.

Brake cleaner is the kiddy, carb cleaner pretty aggressive stuff.

Lynall

Aha, specifically for the purpose, thanks

couldn't help noticing the claims on the front of the can I think I should drink it I need some more horsepower
still think something like servisol would be fine, also safe for plastic, leaves no residue but doesn't make any claim for horses!

Last edited:
I would always use Servisol with no worries that it would do any harm.
Having said this ... Don't go messing with your MAS unless you have good reason to go there.
They are very "fragile" and it's easier to make them worse rather than improve them.
They will not stand any "heavy-handedness"

I wonder what's actually in that can.
It may be Servisol (or something very similar) with a different label.

ive used a brake cleaner before, done the job, aren't they self cleaning though? i might be wrong there though...usually am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom