Cleaning old W114 seats, help/advice?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by 91dm, Jul 8, 2018.

1. 91dm

91dm Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A few
    Hello,

I'm just starting a mini project cleaning the interior of our W114. I started with the sun visors and had great success just with hot soapy water!

[​IMG]

I then tackled one of the front seats and I'm not sure what to expect. I just focused on the seat base which has come up alot cleaner than the top although it doesn't show on a picture. The colour is darker on top and the veins of the material are a lighter tan colour. So far I've given them a wipe over with hot water and then gliptone cleaner. Is that how they should be or should I expect the lighter tan colour all over?

[​IMG]

Also, on various parts of the interior there's is a black glue which has set onto the material like concrete! It looks like someone had left tyres in on top of the seats. I've tried everything to remove the glue but the only thing that works is a blunt knife and very carefully scraping it off. Is there anything less risky that would dissolve it?

[​IMG]

/\ Work in progress, it was a large black circle.

Any help/advice appreciated before I move onto the rest of the interior!

-

2. DSM10000

DSM10000 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC
    If they are leather then saddle soap works well at lifting dirt, grease etc, use a nail brush to work it in and lots of clean water to gently rinse off.

91dm likes this.
  3. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    As above. If the seats are “leather”? It is highly likely they are coated with a UPVC SPRAY. It means you need a UPVC cleaner. Applied with a nail brush and warm sparing water. Do not flood it. Any cracks in the surface will allow ingress and staining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

91dm likes this.
  4. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    It's MB tex (PVC) and of that period it's mottled in colour so there will always be variation across the seats. Use a strong cleaner like Bilt Hamber Surfex HD and it will really lift the dirt rapidly. It should help with the black, something like a stiff brush should help. Just wear latex gloves and try to avoid spilling it.

Ted, brucemillar and 91dm like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    91dm

91dm Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A few
    Thanks for the advice.

6. alabbasi

alabbasi Hardcore MB Enthusiast

I'd use something more gentle like 303 vinyl cleaner and a soft brush. It might take a little longer to clean but harsh chemicals can dry out the vinyl. I remember using vanish back in the 90's and it did cause the tex to crack.