Cleaning OM642 engine (with water)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TeddyRuxpin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2x E350 CDI Sport W212s... for a bit
Hi all,

Has anyone sprayed down the OM642 engine? If so, which bits did you cover up with plastic bags?

My engine has had various leaks and I'm pretty sure there are no leaks now, but there's a bit of a smell when the engine gets hot. I've cleaned the 'top' of the engine and it looks nice and clean, but I think there's some diesel that's been spilled because there's a smell there that I'd love to get rid of.

I'm talking about with the top plastic cover off. When I first got the car I paid for a detailer to clean the engine, but they didn't take the cover off. Since then, I've carefully cleaned bits with a brush and strong APC, but think it needs a bit more attention.

I'd love to use BH foam and then low pressure rinse off, but I'm a bit scared. There are electrical connectors all over the shop in this engine.

Cheers,

Ed

Last edited:
Few tins of spray on "gunk" and a light rince, keep away from fuse box and fuse box near the battery .

I too have the E350 OM642 CDI, Love it! Actually had a few Merc diesels over the years and never actually seen a naked one, always under cover, sometimes the plastic has rattled,due to some so called, MB techs slovenliness, or more likely lack of hand eye coordination and general inexperience. I digress. This post is no good without Pictures.
Get Posting!!!⚡

Hey buddy

Yes you can use Autofaom foam, mix 50ml product to 950ml water in a trigger bottle. And spray over the entire area. Or use your cannon
Don't rinse the engine bay prior to Autofaom as wont be as effective.

Cover the alternator, battery with a plastic bag

Agitate where you can with some detailing brushes, also if you have some wheel barrel brushes like EZ Detail use them for reaching down into the lower section
Rinse down with low pressure or just a hose. You dont need to use a jet wash as it will force water into areas that you cant dry

If you have a leaf blower or an air dryer, use that to get the water out of the all possible crevices etc. Towel dry the other areas aswell

Pay close attention to rubber as oil, grease and Diesel will bond to that, a good strong dilution of APC will work, or TFR but don't let it dry

Wipe down all the rubber with IPA and MF MF towels to ensure all the cleaning products have been removed.
Allow to evaporate for atleast 20mims before using any dressing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom