Cleaning or replacing MAF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpod

Car
Merc C180k 2005
Hello, my first post.

Great site.

My 2005 180k C class, 70k has a p0171 fault, I serviced it over the summer, new air filter etc.

Two questions:

1. I want to repair this myself. I understand that some people replace the MAF as a throw away item and some advocate cleaning it. Any thoughts on that?

2. I am assuming that most will recommend cleaning it so I need cleaner fluid, a rubber breather hose, and a clamp removal tool. Any other tips or any other item that may need replacing would be appreciated?

Thanks, and great site, awesome info, pod :thumb:

i personaaly wldnt clean a maf...some do and its fine but it controls fuelling so i wldnt mess around with it

Understood, I am searching for the details of the breather hose, this is often leaking and an easy fix.

I think the hose is:

Mercedes-Benz OM271 Engine Crankcase Breather Hose NEW A2710181282

Like gasman2 I do not recommend cleaning the MAF. Just change for a new one. If you purchase outside the dealer, get a Bosch item. A tad more expensive but will last more years than a cheaper part sourced on the net.

Is it possible it is just the hose, I plan to have a listen for a leak and remove the air box and see if the new hose solves the problem?

Update

Couldn't hear a leak from around the air filter box so I had a tidy, lo and behold I noticed the cloth tube, cold air ram to filter box was unravelled and the plastic component from this tube was not clipped on beneath the air filter box.

Fixed the cloth/wire tube, clipped on the plastic gizmo. So far no engine management light has come on after a days use of the car! Fingers crossed.

Hope you like the pic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom