Cleaning Plastic Chrome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V6GBJ

Car
GLC 43
SLs and probably some other models have plastic chrome fins where the bonnet and side vents used to be. Mine look partly stained and this seems difficult to remove or polish out. Does anyone have any recommendations to make them shine all over? Thanks guys.

I've had this problem before, never ended up finding anything to "refresh" the trims. I contemplated buying new or used but it seems to be a common issue.

clay bar with clay mitt, then coat with wax to protect, it depends how far gone it is, I got great results on the trim on C class cabriolet around windows and the roof section on back.

Well you will never get them clean it is caused by a strong cleaning agent being used possibly at a hand car wash,the only sure way is to buy new trim and wash the car yourself.

It may be traffic film remover or other cleaning product which has dried in direct sunlight before rinsing. If so then it has etched the finish and if so then it may not be possible to remove.

The chrome finish is underneath the plastic surface, no way to recover the original look, you could try wrapping ?

The chrome finish is underneath the plastic surface, no way to recover the original look, you could try wrapping ?
Many thanks to all of you for your comments. A friend who retired from running a body shop has just given me a bottle of green liquid which is a diluted very mild rubbing compound. The car is a 2016 so the plastic is not too far gone I hope. It may take some elbow grease but worth a try. If it works I'll try to find out exactly what the green stuff is and let you know! Thanks again, Gareth

Good luck, do let us know how you get on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom