Cleaning seat belts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EdmundIJones

Car
Mercedes C270 CDi
Hi

It seems the previous owner of my car was rather ditry and needed a bath. The interior is light grey (grey leather), I can clean the leather no problems and baby wipes work everywhere appart from the seat belts which are also light grey. These are really grimmey and need attention.

Being a rather important safety device I don't want to use any old stuff on them, so I was wondering what the best stuff to use may be?

Thanks
Ed

I think officially, only soupy water should be used on the seat belt harness is recommended... where as using strong chemicals will attack the harness material and affect it's strength.

I would think Baby Wipes and plenty of elbow grease should do the job.

It's because it's a febric sort of material, it's all ground in... rather nasty really

Soap and water is best but don't soak the belts.

unitfreebie - I think the soupy water might make things worse!! :) :)

:doh: oh... yes, soapy water... not soupy, unless you want to lick it all off! :bannana:

LOL the perfect "in-flight" snack! :D

I would recommend one of the VANISH prewash products VANISH Trust Pink, Forget Stains. possibly the gel or the soap bar with a nail brush followed by a thorough rinse in warm water. To do this properly requires immersing/rinsing the stained part of the belt belt completely in the water which may be difficult to do if its still on the vehicle.:dk: Removing the belt and inertia reel components completely on the other hand might be complicated by the numerous safety/ monitoring systems associated with them in modern cars.:confused: If your MB dealer has a good valeting/bodywork department they may be able to suggest a suitable MB branded/approved cleaning product?:thumb:

Only thing that I find with Vanish is that it can leave a white residue if it is not scrupulously removed.

Not, I guess a great problem on a light coloured material but a regal PITA on black :doh:

washing powder and very hot water... pull the seatbelt out as far as possible and let it soak in the bucket for a good while... then scrub as normal.

washing powder and very hot water... pull the seatbelt out as far as possible and let it soak in the bucket for a good while... then scrub as normal.

What he said :thumb:

I've always used autoglym shampoo works a treat.

Or Carpet cleaner would do the trick.

Its another example of how modern car design seems to have put style before sense.. in all of my cars the seat belts are black as back in the 80's, MB knew that they would get dirty... in the 90's they forgot and decided to make seat belts the same colour as the interior..

muppets IMO.

My E55 had one previous well healed lady owner before me and im sure she smelt lovely BUT the drivers side seatbelt stank of perfume! so bad it dryed up my nose and made my eye's water!!

Ive tried everyting, leaving an onion in the car over night!, wash it, sprayed it, left the seatbelt wrapped around the seat so that its all exposed and left the windows open all day and its still there but barely noticible now and slowly going!....even contemplated buying a new seatbelt at one point! :wallbash: lol

My E55 had one previous well healed lady owner before me and im sure she smelt lovely BUT the drivers side seatbelt stank of perfume! so bad it dryed up my nose and made my eye's water!!

lol

And I thought your car was heaven scent......:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom