Cleaning spectacles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ToeKnee

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
R230 SL500 in teal blue, R231 SL500 in black. (Vauxhall insignia diesel now sold) Black Ford Mondeo
Anyone got some good suggestions for keeping glasses clean? I have reading glasses so use them only occasionally (wearing them now) and because I don't use them often I forget and pick them up by the lenses etc and my glasses are normally dirty. I thought about using a weak IPA solution and looked online where the major opticians say NOT to use ipa but to use their own lens solution, and other users and forums say IPA is ok if diluted correctly.
So, IPA or no IPA?
I do have a micro fibre cloth which I use day to day but it often doesn't remove finger prints and stubborn stains.

Use these,

work perfectly without any smears.

Thanks so far! If I don't get a definitive answer to using IPA (which I have a lot of) I'll buy something dedicated.

Thanks so far! If I don't get a definitive answer to using IPA (which I have a lot of) I'll buy something dedicated.
If they're polycarbonate lenses, I'd keep clear of IPA.
Warm water and a drop of liquid soap (not Fairy Liquid) and a microfiber or a proper spray or wipe from your optician/Boots/Specsavers.

From Google:

Screenshot-20240107-182111-Chrome.jpg

From Google:

Screenshot-20240107-182111-Chrome.jpg
From Specsavers! As I said in my research opticians trying to sell there own cleaner say no and opticians not trying to sell a cleaner say yes......

Yet I've been using them for 20 years and never damaged a pair of glasses yet.
Sorry can you confirm you mean you've been using alcohol wipes?

I put a drop of washing up liquid on my middle finger, rub it with the thumb then rub both sides of a lens between them. Once it's coated I continue rubbing under a gentle stream of water until it starts 'squeaking' (you'll know). Dry with a clean tissue and they're literally squeaky clean.

I use the same stuff i clean my car glass with, just because i have some. I came across a small squirter bottle in my wifes travel bag and grabbed it when it was empty,100ml i think, pocket sized. Got a mini waffle type cloth from some freebie detailing sample and it all works fine. I now have built up to little squirters in all the cars,my van, the house etc.

While I'm impressed with people's effort, what's wrong with spending a small amount of money on 'lens cleaner spray'?.........

Anyone got some good suggestions for keeping glasses clean? I have reading glasses so use them only occasionally (wearing them now) and because I don't use them often I forget and pick them up by the lenses etc and my glasses are normally dirty. I thought about using a weak IPA solution and looked online where the major opticians say NOT to use ipa but to use their own lens solution, and other users and forums say IPA is ok if diluted correctly.
So, IPA or no IPA?
I do have a micro fibre cloth which I use day to day but it often doesn't remove finger prints and stubborn stains.
I use an ultrasonic cleaner.
Many sizes available online.
You can clean all sorts of things including the nosepads on your glasses, expanding watch straps and wife's jewellery as well.

Jim

While I'm impressed with people's effort, what's wrong with spending a small amount of money on 'lens cleaner spray'?.........
Just getting in touch with my "inner Scotsman"....... 🤗

That's got me thinking about my weird relationship with money, but I'll start a new thread rather than derail this one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom