Cleaning spectacles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I mostly use the bottom of whatever top I’m wearing, or a snotty hanky! When my glasses are really dirty I lick the lenses before using the ‘available cloth’ method.

It's a bit like doing a 'proper' car wash - the first step is ideally to remove any dust/dirt from the surface of the lenses without any kind of wiping/rubbing that will potentially put tiny scratches in the surface. Many lenses are plastic (relatively soft, but light & thin) and/or have coatings (anti-reflection, anti-UV, etc.) that are also quite easy to damage over time. If you rarely clean your glasses or have cheap ones (e.g. ready-made reading glasses) it's less critical and sprays/wipes are convenient and 'ok'.

I wear multifocals that are far from cheap and my method is as follows. Rinse off thoroughly under a warm tap - often that will be enough, but otherwise followed by a gentle wash with a drop of soft soap or washing up liquid on the fingertips then rinse off again. Then dry off with a proper lens cloth, not using any rubbing/wiping motion but 'blotting' the water off instead. The lens cloth should be kept in a pouch at all times to keep it clean - if only used to absorb water it will last for years.

Having said that I managed to run over my previous glasses with my tractor, which made detailer-grade lens cleaning somewhat academic. And more recently my current pair got ruined by standing too close to a large bonfire - this affected the lenses (or possibly just the coatings, but either way they're unwearable). So another pair required (or if I'm lucky just replacement lenses). Fortunately I always keep a few generations of old glasses for emergencies such as this - the prescriptions aren't fully up to date, but they're a lot better than nothing :D

Best and easiest way is as follows.
Run them under the tap with just clean water. You need to get rid of all the tiny bits of dust/grit first. The use some liquid soap and get in all the edges and spaces around the pad arms if they are metal. This simply removes all the lipids/oils/grease etc. Rinse thoroughly. If they are coated lenses (MAR - the coloured bloom on the surfaces) they also have a hydrophobic coating so will repel water. Just hold the ends of the sides (nor arms, never arms or legs!) and quickly flick them down to shake of the excess water. If there remains an odd drop use a tissue; do not wipe it, just absorb it. Then and only then does your microfibre cloth come out to remove the last traces. Said cloth needs to go through the washing machine frequently too. When they are clean you can feel some "bite" on the lens surface.
Personally I avoid any of the wet wipes as anything paper based will eventually mark your lenses and you really need to remove the (very tiny)solids before you start cleaning as otherwise what you have is a nice grinding paste.
It takes a lot less time to do than to read or type the instructions.
I've been doing this for 30+ years on my own and my patient's spectacles.
IPA could damage your MAR coatings is used frequently, certainly none of the stuff we use contains it

Previous reply just beat me to the post, but here goes -
I’ve probably worn glasses continually for close on 50 years now. I constantly clean them because my eyesight is sensitive to dirty lenses.

I tend to buy quality frames, so prescription lenses and frames currently set me back in excess of £300, I’m not in the habit of mishandling them.

I have learnt to ignore sprays and solutions sold by high street stores. Likewise ignore the cleaning tissues which are good for usually clean optical equipment but not so good for glasses which attract dust from whatever environment you are working in.

I simply rinse lenses under tepid running water to remove dust and then dry them with a glasses microfibre cleaning cloth which I replace frequently.

Yes, once in a blue moon I do use a very weak solution of washing up liquid to remove grease but it’s something I strongly resist (actually I’ve started to use a weak solution of non perfumed bathroom washing soap which is milder).

Don’t pick them up by placing fingers on the lenses that’s asking for trouble. I prefer to place fingers above and below the lens or grasp both arms (not just one arm because that is likely to twist them).

One other point, don’t leave them in the car on very hot summers days. The surface coating on the lenses of a pair of mine began to delaminate and it could only have been caused by high temperatures when left in the car.

Last edited:
Best and easiest way is as follows.
Run them under the tap with just clean water. You need to get rid of all the tiny bits of dust/grit first. The use some liquid soap and get in all the edges and spaces around the pad arms if they are metal. This simply removes all the lipids/oils/grease etc. Rinse thoroughly. If they are coated lenses (MAR - the coloured bloom on the surfaces) they also have a hydrophobic coating so will repel water. Just hold the ends of the sides (nor arms, never arms or legs!) and quickly flick them down to shake of the excess water. If there remains an odd drop use a tissue; do not wipe it, just absorb it. Then and only then does your microfibre cloth come out to remove the last traces. Said cloth needs to go through the washing machine frequently too. When they are clean you can feel some "bite" on the lens surface.
Personally I avoid any of the wet wipes as anything paper based will eventually mark your lenses and you really need to remove the (very tiny)solids before you start cleaning as otherwise what you have is a nice grinding paste.
It takes a lot less time to do than to read or type the instructions.
I've been doing this for 30+ years on my own and my patient's spectacles.
IPA could damage your MAR coatings is used frequently, certainly none of the stuff we use contains it
I try not to use anything other than liquid soap - water - microfiber on mine to avoid damage.....I'm still recovering from the cost of the last set of AR Carl Zeiss varifocal lenses when my prescription changed.:eek:

I clean them when I'm having a bath.

Spot of shampoo (less harsh than fairly liquid) rub lens between the fingers, rinse in hot water and dry with the towel. Just cleaned 3 pairs of reading glasses tonight.

For the perfect job, look up cleaning methods for telescope mirrors. Minimal touching/rubbing and only if necessary. Use warm distilled or deionised water, pure soap and rinse. No rubbing dry. Also good for headlight reflectors. Did a great job on my 45 year old motorcycle headlight reflector.

We use spec wipes from Lidl.

I invariably have to clean my lenses daily and one wipe will easily do 3 or 4 pairs. No need to press hard as dust and grit need to be picked up rather than ground in.

Still struggling with varifocals after over a year now and may go back to separate reading + distance pairs. Current pair were €835 which is more than 2 separate pairs.

Over a period of time you’ll adapt and pick them up by the frame until then I’ve heard welding gloves are excellent for not getting your fingerprint on

Anyone got some good suggestions for keeping glasses clean? I have reading glasses so use them only occasionally (wearing them now) and because I don't use them often I forget and pick them up by the lenses etc and my glasses are normally dirty. I thought about using a weak IPA solution and looked online where the major opticians say NOT to use ipa but to use their own lens solution, and other users and forums say IPA is ok if diluted correctly.
So, IPA or no IPA?
I do have a micro fibre cloth which I use day to day but it often doesn't remove finger prints and stubborn stains.

I blast them with water from the garden hose.
Then I use snowfoam to loosen any dirt, and another good blast from the hose (with a resin container of course).
Then it’s a good clean using the two bucket method, lukewarm water and grit guards.
A final rinse with distilled water (you CAN use defrosted fridge water) and a dry with meguiars finest supersoft microfibre which are then discarded. You can’t be too careful.

Excessive? Maybe, but that’s just me.

Leave them soaking for half an hour in a pint of Vodka, (any kind does). Let them air dry & while waiting, drink the vodka. After that you won't bother about your glasses:D

I bought a large spray bottle of lens cleaner from Specsavers years ago and use it, with a microfibre cloth, on both our glasses (4 pairs varifocals total). Bottle is still going fine, results are also fine!

I only bother cleaning my readers in extreme circumstances, note varifocals now gone courtesy of two new lenses in eyes after cataracts. In these circumstance's after the dog has been captured I first remove them from his mouth then I huff on them and rub them with my hankie.
PS : looking at my iPad cannot understand why the picture alway looks a bit blurry,

A huge bottle of lens cleaner from an optician that lasts several years and sits in the kitchen waiting for a distracted moment.

Cost? Less than half a percent of the (bleeding ridiculous) cost of my multicoated varifocal glasses and sunglasses.

(Oh, and that's ignoring the iPhones, iPads and MacBooks it cleans as well)

Rain-X spray, spreading with fingers, and pat dry with a microfibre. Then just warm water for ‘in-between’ cleaning

I'm still recovering from the cost of the last set of AR Carl Zeiss varifocal lenses when my prescription changed.:eek:

That's what I just stuffed by getting too close to a bonfire! Very strange as I've singed hair and even once burnt my face (like sunburn) before, but never damaged glasses. The lenses don't appear to be damaged but both give a 'wavy' effect now when you look through them. I have a clear polycarbonate face shield that I use with a petrol strimmer & brushcutter - will try and remember to wear that next time I have a big fire!

Should this be in the detailing section?🤔
Maybe use the two bucket method.😂😂😂
Seriously though, I just breathe on them and wipe with microfiber cloth.
Snow foam start buddy to deal with built up dirt ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom