Cleaning spectacles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've tried or been bought a few glasses cleaners over the 10 years I've been a glasses wearer (just driving or very close up work).....none have been as good as the washing up liquid and soft cloth methods mentioned above. I do have a pack of the wipes in the car incase I accidently pick them up by the lens....as I don't tend to have a tap and washing up liquid in the car!!
The mistake I made last time was heeding my opticians advice and having the anti glare coating on my driving glasses....never again....it has minimal effect on the glare and makes the finger prints and marks much more difficult to get off.....because its not a completely smooth finish at a microscopic level.....not keen of the very slight green tint when you catch them in the right light either..

That's what I just stuffed by getting too close to a bonfire! Very strange as I've singed hair and even once burnt my face (like sunburn) before, but never damaged glasses. The lenses don't appear to be damaged but both give a 'wavy' effect now when you look through them. I have a clear polycarbonate face shield that I use with a petrol strimmer & brushcutter - will try and remember to wear that next time I have a big fire!
That wavy effect is what I had when I left them in the car on a hot day.

That's what I just stuffed by getting too close to a bonfire! Very strange as I've singed hair and even once burnt my face (like sunburn) before, but never damaged glasses. The lenses don't appear to be damaged but both give a 'wavy' effect now when you look through them. I have a clear polycarbonate face shield that I use with a petrol strimmer & brushcutter - will try and remember to wear that next time I have a big fire!
Dunno about a face shield; it sound like you need one of these
heat-protective-cloth-700-series-proximity-suits-1000x1000.jpg

I've tried or been bought a few glasses cleaners over the 10 years I've been a glasses wearer (just driving or very close up work).....none have been as good as the washing up liquid and soft cloth methods mentioned above. I do have a pack of the wipes in the car incase I accidently pick them up by the lens....as I don't tend to have a tap and washing up liquid in the car!!
The mistake I made last time was heeding my opticians advice and having the anti glare coating on my driving glasses....never again....it has minimal effect on the glare and makes the finger prints and marks much more difficult to get off.....because its not a completely smooth finish at a microscopic level.....not keen of the very slight green tint when you catch them in the right light either..
That's interesting because this is the first time I've paid for the upgraded lens with a coating and I find them difficult to clean compared to the "cheaper" lens I've has before.

I put a drop of washing up liquid on my middle finger, rub it with the thumb then rub both sides of a lens between them. Once it's coated I continue rubbing under a gentle stream of water until it starts 'squeaking' (you'll know). Dry with a clean tissue and they're literally squeaky clean.
While the disposable wipes are my wife's method of choice, I find that Stratman's technique (but using a drop of liquid handwash) is better - my desk faces the patio doors and wipes leave a slight misty effect on my reading glasses. However I acknowledge that for full time spectacle wearers (like my wife) wipes are convenient when out and about...

Over a period of time you’ll adapt and pick them up by the frame until then I’ve heard welding gloves are excellent for not getting your fingerprint on

I use welding gloves for loading the woodburner. Gives high heat protection and save my wrists from burns. So far ....

Don't recommend them for everyday handling of wood as they do wear out, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom