clear fluid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zahid

Car
Mercedes 300E 4MATIC
I have recently found some clear fluid, very thin viscosity, under my 300CE, it's coming from the middle centre in line with the windscreen, any ideas? no warning light have come on and everythings working fine.:confused:

screen wash fluid?

Water?

there are a couple of "drains" from the screen that exit below the car almost dead centre - worried the hell out of me when I saw drips coming from what seemed like the rear of the engine.

Andy

Have you got air conditioning? Mine has a drain pipe near the gearbox and produces a fair bit of condensation when the weathers hot.

Yeah, I find air con drips water over garage floor regularly.

Originally posted by Simon
Have you got air conditioning? Mine has a drain pipe near the gearbox and produces a fair bit of condensation when the weathers hot.

Ditto here too. I was highly confused when I pulled up to a mates house last week and just by looking at the car, he could tell I'd had my AirCon on! I looked at him as if he was mad before he pointed out the large puddle of water under the car!

When Steve and I worked on Comand last september, with half the dash missing and the drainage pipe from the heater core hanging out we went for a drive. As soon as we set off the pipe had water pouring out of it, all over my feet! The aircon produces LOTS of condensation, cause in the end that's how it works :)

I very rarely have mine on. In fact - I've only used it once (last saturday evening - MEGA downpour - MEGA humidity - inside of car all steamed up - cleared up in seconds.

Whenever I fill the car up I run the a/c for 20 mins - and that's it.

Originally posted by Kinky
I very rarely have mine on. In fact - I've only used it once (last saturday evening - MEGA downpour - MEGA humidity - inside of car all steamed up - cleared up in seconds.

Whenever I fill the car up I run the a/c for 20 mins - and that's it.

Any reason why?

Mine is on most of the time, unless interior temp just happens to be just right, with just the fan, which very occasionally it is.

LOL @GDC200

TBH, I've noticed a few spots on my driveway, and one or two at the rear of our garage. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its Emma's Porsche and not something sinister on mine. Must be as mine has only seen the inside of our garage twice.

She has full climate control on hers so it cranks the compressor up when it needs it, not when you decide.

Back on topic, or are we always off-topic?
The clear fluid may be from the hydraulic clutch for the aircon/climate fan just behind the radiator.
have a feel around under the engine bay above where the leak is and see if you can find anything.

Does the engine temp still stay about the same as is usually does?

I know what it is.
I have Just come back from the garage, the chap tells me it's oil from the steering damper he says it's nothing to worry about as the car will work fine without it.He also said that if I must have one a new one it will set me back 40 squid + labour.

Thanks for all the reply's though. :)

you said "in line with the windscreen" the sterring damper is a lot further forward than that and as far as I know it wouldn't leave a pool of fluid if it failed. shock absorbers/dampers tend to leak gradually and any oil gets soaked into the general road dirt they gather. I don't doubt the steering damper has failed but i would be very surprised if that had caused your original pool of fluid.

Andy

Originally posted by GDC200
Glad someone said that because I wasnt sure about that diagnosis either. Sounds like a case of work for the workshop ?

I have exact same symptoms......will find out later if it's the steering damper.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom