Clear your car of snow warning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
Just had a warning text from a mate. Apparently there's a rumour floating around that Police will stop cars tomorrow with snow on the screen/side windows, or on the roof, in an effort to make people more responsible (we've all had snow deprt the car in front and hit us haven't we).

Don't know if it's true but there's 3 points and £60 at stake....

I'm sure we all clear our cars here anyway don't we?

Good :thumb:

Shame :(

:D

It has been a fun day in internetland with people propagating a classic scare story.

However, police have been prosecuting people on inappropriate i.e summer tyres this week given the weather. I think the offences are been booked under CU20 Causing or likely to cause danger by reason of use of unsuitable vehicle or using a vehicle with parts or accessories in a dangerous condition.
:thumb:

It has been a fun day in internetland with people propagating a classic scare story.

However, police have been prosecuting people on inappropriate i.e summer tyres this week given the weather. I think the offences are been booked under CU20 Causing or likely to cause danger by reason of use of unsuitable vehicle or using a vehicle with parts or accessories in a dangerous condition.
:thumb:

This is interesting... the Police would need to have a database of all the makes and models of tyres on the market in order to be able to establish if a tyre is classified by the manufacturer as 'summer tyre' or as 'all year tyre' - because while you may be able to identify a winter tyre by its tread, you can not do this to tell summer / all-year tyres apart...?

This is interesting... the Police would need to have a database of all the makes and models of tyres on the market in order to be able to establish if a tyre is classified by the manufacturer as 'summer tyre' or as 'all year tyre' - because while you may be able to identify a winter tyre by its tread, you can not do this to tell summer / all-year tyres apart...?

I don't think he was being serious.:)

Less than 4mm tread would be considered dangerous for a winter tyre even more dangerous for a non-winter tyre. The only thing the Police would need to look for would be the snowflake symbol.

Yes the police have been looking for the snowflake symbol on tyres. My neighbour got busted this morning, I can scan the NIP and post it here if you want ...

And yes renault12ts you are right.

See how it works now? ....

Since when did it become mandatory to use winter tyres??????

OK OK...let's start a rumour...it is now mandatory to use winter tyres in the UK...this week.

I don't think he was being serious.:)

embarrassed_chimpanzee.jpg

Last edited:
My lad is a "boy in blue" and he will stop you if you cannot see out of your car. In or out of season he will bag you too. Some cars take a lot of stopping safely as just a small patch cleared on a windscreen means they cannot see the kerb when he lights them up from behind. He is not a traffic cop but will also stop cars for this if he is on foot patrol too.

I thought there was a 292mm (or some patch) of visibility you needed out of your front windscreen... everything is optional...

i.e. trucks don't have a rear window, etc

You must be able to see ceaerly out the windscreen and front side windows. eVERYTHING ELSE IS OPTIONAL...BUT DOOR MIRRORS MUST BE FITTED IF YOU CANNOT SEE OUT THROUGH AN INTERNAL RVM

eDIT TOO LAZY TO GO BACK AND RETYPE...SORRY

Would it better to stop people who hold up lines of traffic,who drive at walking pace and because it is icy, you cant get past,these people drive me mad,

There is not actually a law against driving slowly as far as I am aware:dk: Though I do understand what you mean.

Touche:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom