Clearance on SL55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

db1

Hi,

In looking at my SL the body seems (to me at least) to be very well clear of the top of the tyres. It is almost as if the body has been raised using the suspension setting. Is there a specific/recommended ground clearance on this car - and does anyone know what it is/how to check it.

Suffice to say, I think it would like nice a little lower!

Thanks

DB

Dimensions and weights

Wheelbase mm 2560

Track, front/rear mm 1559/1547

Overall - length mm 4535

Overall - width mm 1815

Overall - height mm 1298

Turning circle m 11.02

Boot volume l 317 (with vario-roof open: 235)

Kerb weight (EC) kg 1845

These are the only published figures I can find - try checking the height.
HTH

:)

will do, thanks - do you believe this is the same irrespective of the alloys you have. I have opted for the 5 spoke AMG alloys not the standard one with the multiple small narrow spokes.

I think they are both 18inch, so I guess it should be the same.

Thoughts?

Here's a pic of the multi-spoke 18's, give you some idea of the 'gap' between top of tyre and wheel arch -

55wheel.jpg

The 19" wheel that can be ordered from the factory will appear to fill the arch more, but only because there is a bit more metal and a bit less tyre - and it's the metal that catches the eye.

They do make the car quite fidgety, though.

Whatever size, 17/18/19 or even 20" wheels, the 'gap' between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch will remain the same, give or take a fraction of a millimetre.

As the wheel size goes up, the tyre sidewall profile goes down - 40 front and 35 rear on 18" wheels, as you have now, would reduce to 35 and 30 if you put the wheel up to 19. This would keep the same rolling radius on the wheel, and therefore preserve the dreaded 'gap.'

You can get the front dropped if you want - personally I wouldn't want anyone other than AMG to do it - but IMO the people in this country to speak to are Birds - link here

You asked for thoughts - I think you've got a fantastic car which will be the envy of 99.99% who see it. There's probably only you, me and 3 or 4 others that would ever notice - I have exactly the same issue with the front of the C32AMG - the wheels on 300TD seem to sit tighter - so I know what you mean!

Enjoy driving it and show the world the back instead :)

these are amazing cars,in amg form and just standard sl500.
there is a tast procedure for these on the diagnostic machine,for checking the suspension hydraulics,once actuated the car dances for about a minute or so,put some groovy music on and it looks awesome.
we did this at our grand opening day at work.
not sure about the minimum height though,don't think you could lower it anymore,due to the complicated electronic suspension system.
bigger wheels other than merc approved ones could throw out the values,and readings on the ecu controlling brakes etc.but I could be wrong though.

Last edited:
Guy, thats not entirely true.

To a certain exstent you are correct, but this is within certain tolerances.

Going more than an inch either up or down will normally result in a bigger/smaller rolling radius, because changing the sidewall of the tyre is not always done so dramatically.

Before we put 20's on the cl, there was a big gap on the rear, now we have 20's, you cant even get your fingers between the tyres and the wheelarch.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Thats a great link for working out the rolling radius...

;)

Try visiting this site

Link

and clicking on the 3 different wheels, the 2 on the outside are 18's, the one in the centre is a 19". I don't suppose the 'virtual machine' is as accurate as photos(even the 2 18's look different!), but it demonstrates how the extra metal appears to fill the wheel arch better.

Maybe a set of 19's is the way to go if it is bugging you?

:D Ain't it great spending someone else's money? :D

V12 -

The aim is surely to keep the rolling radius (circumference) constant - not always precisely possible I agree - but even an extra 1" circumference gives only a fraction of an inch (one-fifth) in diameter - which is surely not going to visibly fill the arch?

What were your original/replacement sizes on the CL?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom