Clearing Snow and Ice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benjy

Car
Audi R8 V10 5.2
Guys

I ended up clearing the ice and snow off my car today but dont know if this was such a good thing or idea as I am worried about scratching her and if I have now by doing this left tiny sratches on the surface of the paintwork. I used my hands to do the majority and the rest from the heat of the engine from the car to melt it. I had her standing there on tick over for about an hour which I no most of you will say that this wasn't such a good idea but I just couldn't bare leaving the car with 8 inches all over it and if the predicitions are right in that this is going to all turn to ice that worried me even more if I just left it.

Going forward I am going to buy a car cover for these sort of situations and would ask if anyone has any recommendations of where to buy and what to buy. As usual MB dont have one for my car.

Also any recommendations on how to clear snow and ice going forward without damaging the paintwork would also be very much appreciated. :thumb:

Clear snow off with a soft brush or my idea, a 12" square piece of cardboard!

Snow blowers have been mentioned elsewhere too......

Clear snow off with a soft brush or my idea, a 12" square piece of cardboard!

Snow blowers have been mentioned elsewhere too......

Yes I was very careful and did think the cardboard route but in the end used my hands. The problem was the snow from 2 days ago had turned to ice underneath and was worried about that more than the fine snow on the top.

I would have thought that if you did not need to use the car, you would be better off just leaving the snow on the car?

I can't see what damage snow or ice can do to the car. I would have thought the only time damage could occur is when you remove the ice/snow? As you mention, you now have small scratches on the paintwork.

Leaving the engine idling for an hour or so is not good for the engine, espcially if the car is not yet run in, as it even says in the handbook to vary the engine rev's during the running in period. :crazy:

+1^ Mine has inches of snow upon it and will stay that way untill it melts.

I also worry about scratching my car but I cleared the snow anyway. I used the rubber end of my ice scrapper and only cleared off the soft/top bit of snow. The icy part which requires scrapping was left on. I did the same thing early this year with no problems so I should be fine. :bannana:

Well you live and learn!

I would say a definite no-no leaving it idling for a hour!!!! Idling could also be bad if snow is blocking some of the intakes so air cannot get in.

As for removal - I cleared the windows with a scraper and then move the surface snow off with a gloved hand. Any more solid ice can be left to melt naturally. But until I had to use it I just left it untouched.

I have seen quite a few people on my street use a broom to remove the top layer of snow from their driveway, and then use the same broom to clear the car!!!!

I would say a definite no-no leaving it idling for a hour!!!! Idling could also be bad if snow is blocking some of the intakes so air cannot get in.

As for removal - I cleared the windows with a scraper and then move the surface snow off with a gloved hand. Any more solid ice can be left to melt naturally. But until I had to use it I just left it untouched.

I have seen quite a few people on my street use a broom to remove the top layer of snow from their driveway, and then use the same broom to clear the car!!!!

Hi Simon....

Yeah same here I used a gloved hand to clear it, not good I no on the ticking over, which I have been duly told off for doing by the guys on here which I totally deserved.....

Same as you though mate I saw a guy down ny road use a rake on his new 3 series BMW this morning and it made me wince in horror....Granted it was a plastic rake but still.....what goes through peoples mind.

Sorry for OT...but do you work in consultancy?

You seem to do a lot of 'going forwards', which admittedly, in a C63 has got to be a pleasure ;-)

Sorry for OT...but do you work in consultancy?

You seem to do a lot of 'going forwards', which admittedly, in a C63 has got to be a pleasure ;-)

Ha ha ha...no Im in investment banking, I'm one of the sods that brought this economy under.

I cant get my around this car, I absolutley love it!

Simon
I would recommend the broom method for M3's :eek:
i shall use my wifes cashmere coat to clear the snow from mine

Funny you should mention the words 'going forward'. It's one of my pet hates in this crazy, amercanised, pen pusher run world. And what makes me giggle even more is that when junior members of staff hear their bosses use these phases they tend to adopt them as the 'right' words to use. It's almost hero worship, it's what the senior, brain washed people want to hear....I just find it funny! Rant over. No offence intended to the culprits-Just a bit of fun.

As far as I am concerned there is no easy way to remove the snow without getting mild if any scratches on the paintwork.
Mine has a layer of wax on there and overnight the snow on the bonnet ended up sliding off on its own accord due to the weight.
If you attempt to remove it then you might get minor scratches.
I would have thought the only safe way would be to melt the ice with hot air but good luck to anyone trying that as you would need it ALL to melt at the same time.

I wouldnt worry about it, the snow will melt, you will get odd surface scratches, will they be deep? no, will you be able to buff them out in the summer? more than likely.

Mine is currently sat under about 1ft of snow. I am going to clear it and a path to the road tomorrow all being well.

I don't think leaving it under the snow will harm it to be honest, and will stop a hard frost hitting it as bad, but I do need to clear it as 3 days walking has really annoyed me and I want my car back on the road :)

I am wishing I hadn't left my snow shovel, spade and grit in the car boot, because I don't know if it will open and don't want to pull on it for fear of damaging the seals (like I did last winter on my old car).

I can't afford a cashmere coat for the missus, but next doors cat does a good enough job ;)

I never thought of that and the missus has 3.....Great idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom