Clever MB electrics save me from stupidity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davo

Car
2002 C270 CDI, 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera Sport
I went for my first decent run in the CL500 this weekend, across the country to darkest East Yorkshire. Amused to see the trip computer range increasing on the motorway, I saw that earlier this year when I went to Goodwood with a friend in his 7 series Beemer, its as if you are making fuel! Actually, its your average mpg improving, from awful to poor on the motorway, but its still funny. Overall I managed a planet saving 21mpg, but early on around town I didn't want the wife to see the worrying single digit mpg. :eek: Quite what it does on the motorway I'm not sure, as you only ever see an average for the whole trip.

Anyway, this morning we left the hotel, I was carrying most of the bags, and my coat, and flung the lot in the boot, which unlocked as I was carrying the keyless card. The rest of the car stayed locked, and I shut the boot, ready to go back for the rest.

Bugger! suddenly the boot decided it wouldnt stay shut! As I cringed about the possible expense, and wondered what to do next, I realised I'd tried to do the one thing I was always afraid of doing with my Jag - locking my only keys in the boot!

My keyless card, and my backup key, were both in the coat I had just flung in the boot -luckily the car is smarter than me, realised that I was shutting the card in there, and refused to do it! How it knows where the card is, is a mystery to me, but I'm glad it does.

Not sure about the boot thingy, but surely with keyless go you can unlock doors etc as the card is in the proximity of the car?

Isn't it very short range? I read the MB system won't allow the car to start unless the driver has the "key" on their person (in that case does it refuse to work if it's in your jacket pocket and you throw the jacket on the back seat?).

There's apparently an aerial in the boot which detects the presence of the key, hence it wouldn't lock.

If you loose the KG key anywhere inside the car the star will give you a birds eye view grid feference on where it is.

Bloody clever ze Germans.

I have been known to do the same - the boot wont even stay shut, let alone lock - I cringed about the expense at first too (not that we think the worst about our cars)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom