Clicking behind dash after cabin filter change, coincedence?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSM10000

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, Range Rover 5.0 SC, BMW X1
As there had been a musty smell in the car I changed the cabin air filter today, easy job except the ECP gave me the wrong part so I had to go back into Salisbury to pick up the correct one.

As I had already removed the old one I drove the 8 miles or so back to ECP without a filter in place, part way through the journey there was a great deal of loud clicking behind the dash, this seemed to be related to any change in the temperature controls , I am finding it hard to think there could be a connection so is it just coincidence?

If I put the climate control into manual it stops making the noise and I can select all airflow positions and flow corresponds to the position chosen, As soon as it is in automatic mode then the clicking starts.

I had similar problems on my Saab, this was a stepper motor that was not driving an arm on an air blend door. Is there a procedure on the 2003 W203 to re-set the flaps and motors? Mine has the non-digital control unit.

Many thanks

Direction flap linkage broken.

Thanks.
I assumed so, presumably needs to be on Star to work out which one? Seems odd it happens almost immediately after the filter change but I cannot see any way they are connected!

Thanks.
I assumed so, presumably needs to be on Star to work out which one? Seems odd it happens almost immediately after the filter change but I cannot see any way they are connected!

They cannot be connected

They cannot be connected

Thanks

I had assumed so :)

Does it need a Star diagnostic to pinpoint the problem or it just one component usually?

You need to listen around the dash to see which stepper motor is clicking. Yes star will help because it will pick up the failing motor/linkage, but if you are clued up you could work it out by adjusting the controls

as DM states it seems as if its the linkage, these were superseded in the facelifts with much beefier parts. They are cheap to buy but a mission to fit.

Might be time to change the car, I have been thinking of it for some time. Are the face lifted W203 any better in handling and steering and overall refinement etc?

I find the steering on mine a little slow and the throttle / gearbox also not exactly responsive. Just bought ma'am a 2011 BMW 320 D and it is a revelation in terms of steering, ride and response but I do like a lot of things about MB over BMW etc.

If it helps to identify the part in question then it happens as soon as the car is started, with the climate control in auto or manual mode, it clicks around 7 times and then is silent.

The sound is coming from the central area and seems to be from behind the radio, as the radio and centre panel are easy to get out I may take it apart and have a look, if anyone has an exploded diagram of the area and any part numbers that would be much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom