Clicking from near glovebox - stops when I change temperature

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeremy156

Car
1995 E320 Coupe
Here's a bizarre one... on my W210 E-class I have air-con (not climate control). Quite regularly, when the car is quiet enough for me to listen (i.e. stationary) I can hear a regular ticking or clicking noise that appears to come from the area of the glovebox. At first I thought it was the noise of noisy tappets or something, but when I realised I couldn't hear a noise outside of the car but only inside it, I began to fiddle. Strangely enough, if I change the temperature control, it seems to stop. The most likely condition for it to come on is the fully-cold position and just moving it beyond that click into the cold range silences it.

Any idea what this might be?

Thanks,
Jeremy

jeremy156 said:
Here's a bizarre one... on my W210 E-class I have air-con (not climate control). Quite regularly, when the car is quiet enough for me to listen (i.e. stationary) I can hear a regular ticking or clicking noise that appears to come from the area of the glovebox. At first I thought it was the noise of noisy tappets or something, but when I realised I couldn't hear a noise outside of the car but only inside it, I began to fiddle. Strangely enough, if I change the temperature control, it seems to stop. The most likely condition for it to come on is the fully-cold position and just moving it beyond that click into the cold range silences it.

Any idea what this might be?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Just the thermostats cooling down, think yourself lucky that you dont have an SL, they clink clonk and make all kinds of noises before they settle down ½ hour at least.

Malcolm

Hi,

I have this clicking sound come on and off ALL the time, irrespective of the temperature setting on the climate control. What settings / control combination will turn this sound off?

Is this a problem with all MBs?

Very annoying, specially as the engine is so smooth and quiet.

Thanks

it sounds like the blend flap motor is faulty,the noise you are hearing is the motor getting to the end of its travel and then still trying to move,causing the gears to slip hence the clicking noise.
very common on 203 class,and a dashboard out job normally to repair

Hmmm... sounds a plausable explaination. I'll see if I can isolate that and audiably confirm the case. Thanks for the tip!

Try listening to the sound while sitting in the passenger seat, I had this ticking sound in my W202, I also thought it was coming from the glove box but it turned out that it was coming from the small temperature sensing fan located inside the courtesy light cluster above mirror.

Dec

Dec said:
Try listening to the sound while sitting in the passenger seat, I had this ticking sound in my W202, I also thought it was coming from the glove box but it turned out that it was coming from the small temperature sensing fan located inside the courtesy light cluster above mirror.

Dec

yes that is quite common on W202:)

its probably a stuck or failed stepper motor, apparently this is an expensive thing to replace although the parts are really cheap. Its a problem in the w203's and labour intensive (expensive) because the whole dash has to be removed to fix it, not sure about other models.

Not sure if this applies to e-classes but on the w203 models you can resync the climate control system which sometimes helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom