Clicking front wheels w204 C63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PPPBrad

Car
2013 C63 PPP Wagon
Hi All,

I’m hoping someone can help me as I’m starting to go a little crazy…

I’ve got a 2013 C63 Wagon with 48k miles which has developed a clicking noise from both front wheels.

I’ve given the car to a local I dependent garage who have had a good look, but have no idea what’s causing it. The bearings are not showing any signs of wear.

Non related, but I got the wheels aligned the other day and asked them to have a look also. They have no idea either.

I replaced the front tyres a couple of weeks ago and it didn’t make any difference.

The clicking noise speeds up in relation to the cars speed and dies it going forwards, as well as backwards.

They are aftermarket wheels/bolts which have been in the car for 6 months prior to the clicking noise with no problems!

I’ve taken the calipers and discs off, cleaned the mating surfaces between the discs and hubs and this made no difference. Apparently this is a common issue on Nissan GTR’s that the wheels click because of corrosion between the hubs and discs.

When the wheels are off the ground and spun, there is no clicking. The clicking is only there when on the vehicle and rolling.

The floating Brembo discs have been on the car for 18 months and all bolts are tight.

I’m completely stumped as to what could be causing this issue?

Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• 5E3B6318-925E-41E1-AA0C-FA23344A1651.jpeg
    5E3B6318-925E-41E1-AA0C-FA23344A1651.jpeg
    940.2 KB · Views: 14
You sure its the front?

My W204 had the same clicking noise which I thought was coming from the front wheels. In fact, it turned out it was the rear wheel and the handbrake shoe spring was hitting the inside of the wheel when moving.

You sure its the front?

My W204 had the same clicking noise which I thought was coming from the front wheels. In fact, it turned out it was the rear wheel and the handbrake shoe spring was hitting the inside of the wheel when moving.
It's definitely the front wheels :(

Just do as Rayaans suggests. If it only happens when on the road how can you be certain it's the fronts?

The fact you say it's both front wheels is very pertinent, do they click in unison?
Nothing wrapped round the propshaft, piece of wire?

While someone was walking alongside, did they notice if the clicks were once per wheel revolution or more than that? If more, how many?

If you have some other wheels to try I’d be inclined to do that first. Do your aftermarket wheels have plastic spigot centering rings?

If you have some other wheels to try I’d be inclined to do that first. Do your aftermarket wheels have plastic spigot centering rings?
I’ve got a friend fairly local who has offered to try his :)

There are no plastic spigot rings…

Are the wheel bolts the correct profile for the wheels, that is round or tapered seat? An outside chance I know, but if the wrong shape bolts have been used, they could have worn the holes and the wheel could be shifting as it rotates.

I heard of play in the floating discs being a problem. Otherwise I'd suspect it isn't the front wheels despite the fact the sound appears to be coming from them.

Wild shot:- as it only happens when the car is rolling, might it be the prop shaft? Either a worn joint or perhaps the standard solution to strange noises on the move, the parking brake cable hitting it?

When the car is on the ground the suspension is loaded up and the brake hoses, wear indicator wires etc are bent in a loop... could perhaps the retaining clips have come off and the pipes are clipping the tyre?

How funny, I've got this same issue on my C63 at the moment, and have just finished replacing the front driver wheel bearing - literally just finished, the caliper is not back on yet - I'll let you know if this fixed the issue. I previously replaced the bearing on the other side, it was making horrible noises when driving but showed no other signs of failure, no play at 3-9 or 12-6 and no grinding, so dont necessarily discount the bearing

Hi All,

I’m hoping someone can help me as I’m starting to go a little crazy…

I’ve got a 2013 C63 Wagon with 48k miles which has developed a clicking noise from both front wheels.

I’ve given the car to a local I dependent garage who have had a good look, but have no idea what’s causing it. The bearings are not showing any signs of wear.

Non related, but I got the wheels aligned the other day and asked them to have a look also. They have no idea either.

I replaced the front tyres a couple of weeks ago and it didn’t make any difference.

The clicking noise speeds up in relation to the cars speed and dies it going forwards, as well as backwards.

They are aftermarket wheels/bolts which have been in the car for 6 months prior to the clicking noise with no problems!

I’ve taken the calipers and discs off, cleaned the mating surfaces between the discs and hubs and this made no difference. Apparently this is a common issue on Nissan GTR’s that the wheels click because of corrosion between the hubs and discs.

When the wheels are off the ground and spun, there is no clicking. The clicking is only there when on the vehicle and rolling.

The floating Brembo discs have been on the car for 18 months and all bolts are tight.

I’m completely stumped as to what could be causing this issue?

Any help is much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom