Clicking noise as speed increase.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Novac

Car
Mercedes Benz C200 CDI
I have recently purchased a 2005 C200 CDI Estate, with 69000 miles on the clock,plus 2 previous owners. It has been kept very well generally. It is a automatic and drives very well after having bmw 300D estate for 15 years from new. The problem is a noise ,which almost sounds like a speedometer cable whirring away. This sound is more prominent on right hand corners and straight ahead, but almost stops on hard left turns. I have had the front tyres and brakes recently replaced, due to their condition. However the noise is still with me. Any comments I would appreciate. Many thanks.
PS. I am really enjoying the car however.

Just a thought ....... a bit of gravel caught in a tyre tread will cause a clicking sound? Happened to me!

Cheap fix, too.

Stuart

hand brake cable rubbing against the prop?

Clicking noise as speed increases

Very many thanks for your replies.

Stuart,
I had thought that, but the noise was there before I fitted new tyres to the fronts. I have checked for stones all round. Thanks.

Mark and Ted,
Now the handbrake fouling on prop shaft I had not considered. Will now investigate. Your help is much appreciated.

Peter

The parking brake cable in the vicinity of the propshaft is held by clips which have a habit of breaking.

You'll need to remove the exhaust heat shields underneath to see the cable.

Many thanks for the reason. You all have been most helpful.
Peter C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom