clicking noise from behind dash w124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joloke

Car
89 Mercedes 230e
Could of had this noise from the beginning when I bought my car but I had worn engine mounts which masked the noise,now they been replaced the noise is driving me mad :wallbash:

Sat with car idling there's a ticking coming from behind the dash :( appears to be there when driving too but engine noise etc you don't notice it as much,but pull up at the lights and once its grabbed your attention there it is again :wallbash:

Its not over loud but enough to annoy you,its like a countdown, 1,2,3,4 and then on 5 Click!

1,2,3,4 Click

Ive listened under the bonnet cant hear it there its behind the dash on the drivers side.

Getting really cheesed off with these Old Benz's now no sooner do ou fix one thing something else is along to annoy the hell out of you!

Anybody ever had such a click and what was it? Did you ever cure the issue?

Thanks

Jo

Last edited:
Car doesn't have Air Con and as far as I can tell heating works OK ;) Ill try turning everything off on the heating and see what happens and report back ;)

Do not have the car right now as its at the garage getting the lower ball joints replaced,ill check tomorrow and let you know :)

Isn't there some sort of valve under the bonnet which clicks like this?

Hopefully more knowledgeable people will be along to assist.

Isn't there some sort of valve under the bonnet which clicks like this?

Hopefully more knowledgeable people will be along to assist.

Yes, the evap purge valve. I often hear it in my 300SE. It's not that loud though to be honest.

Oil pressure gauge, odometer, vacuum branch, headlight adjust.

Last edited:
Right just got the car Back turned the heating controls to off until they clicked and as far as I can make out the noise is not there with them off :dk:

Not the end of the world but after having my engine mounts done I though another issue had arrived :(

Where is this Evap Purge Valve? What does it do if I hear the noise again ill pop the bonnet and try and listen for it ;)

does your heating work ok? set the temperature to minimum(until click) on both sides and report back whether you still get the clicking.

Yes it does go,I have been experimenting a little today and have found the following

Turning the heating off does indeed stop the clicking

I am mainly in the car alone so don't always have the passenger side switched on I turned on both and now I get 1-2-3-4 Click Click

Turn off passengers side only I get 1-2-3-4 Click

Turn off drivers side only I get 1-2-3-4-5 Click

:confused:

After reading a bit about the system I touched the top of the Duo Valves and get 1-2-3-4 or 5 Click or Click Click

Not conclusive at this point as I feel that I need to get somebody to feel for the Clicks at this valve to see if they match up with the timing of the clicks inside?

But one thing I did do was unplug the electrical connector from the Duo Valve with the engine running but with the temperature control on and the clicking disappears:dk:

From what I have read the Duo Valves are supposed to click but I somehow cant believe that Mercedes Intended for them to be heard inside the car:rolleyes:

So why can I hear mine if that's the cause and what the best way to have them still working without me hearing this annoying click inside the car?

Had though of some sound deadening on the valves but think with the heat it would probably just fall off :(

Or is it just a case of there is something amiss with the valve and it needs cleaning or replacing?

Thanks

Jo

There are some good vids on this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jhPEfLI45s

Listen at about 8:40...

Saw that video earlier today actually,testing mine taking of the connector and re connecting mine sounds normal.

What I cant figure out is why I can here it inside the car?

And what the solution is to stop me hearing it so audible inside the car :wallbash:

I will take mine apart and clean it but suspect its resonating through the under bonnet metal work?

My heater works perfectly the sound of the valves say they are working but its driving me mad hearing them inside the car :wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom