Clicking noise from exhaust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shoux

Car
Mercedes C180 Coupe 2012
Hi all,

I noticed a small clicking noise coming from the exhaust when I turn the engine off on my petrol 2012 C180 coupe. It lasts only for a couple of minutes.
Does anyone know what could be the cause?

Thanks,
Miloš

Hey, thanks for the speedy reply. I saw this online as an idea as to why this is happening but I haven't really noticed it on other cars before.

It depends how hot they get based on how you drive and the ambient temperature outside.

The hotter they get, the more noise they will make as they cool.

If you start the car for 10 seconds (from cold obviously) and turn off, you should hear nothing.

Last edited:
It's much more noticeable on some cars than others; I've only ever been aware of it on two of my cars over many years even though all are driven in much the same way and I always suspected that it was a section of flexi-joint that was the main culprit. It's certainly not anything to be concerned about. It might also depend on how the joints are aligned and how tight the bolts are).

It depends how hot they get based on how you drive and the ambient temperature outside.

The hotter they get, the more noise they will make as they cool.

If you start the car for 10 seconds (from cold obviously) and turn off, you should hear nothing.
I tried this just now and there was no noise. I'll keep an eye on it for a while, just be sure.

I tried this just now and there was no noise. I'll keep an eye on it for a while, just be sure.

It's seems most likely it's the exhaust then...

You could drive it around for a few minutes carefully and still hear nothing when you turn it off too.

As tonysmb states, it seems to affect some cars more than others and it's the same story on the many cars I've had.

I'm new here and I gotta say thank you to all of you guys who took time out of your day to reply. I do feel much better about that noise now that I read your comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom