Clicking noise when applying Brakes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Snooptroll

Car
C220 Coupe
Hi All,

New to Mercedes and New to the forums. Having a slight issue with my car, which aside from this I'm loving and I'm hoping someone can help!

Last month I purchased a C220 CDI Coupe, Automatic, 36k miles, Full service history etc,

Recently when applying the brake when stationary a fast clicking noise starts, sounded like it's coming from passenger front side. Then it dissipates and always returns when brake is re applied. Haven't heart this noise when braking whilst moving.

Car has already been returned once under warranty for drop links on either side. Think I've got 2 months warranty left, but just wondering if anyone may have any idea on this issue?

Many thanks

Snoopy

We need more info about the car and engine type please.
It could be the engine driven vacuum pump that powers the brake servo.

Thanks for your replies. I'm trying to arrange with the garage repair although their currently telling me they have no technicians until this covid is finished up. I've asked will my warranty be extended to cover this period and apparently there going to call me back.

It's a 2012 220 CDI Coupe AMG sport trim/line. Not sure on the exact engine I can give the reg no. If that helps?

Thanks in advance

So managed to get hold of the car sales garage that I bought the car from today. They said they currently have no mechanics as they are all furloughed so they will not be able to inspect the car until the covid issue has settled.

With the above in mind has anyone on here got any idea what could be causing it?

Many thanks

Keep a log/evidence of when you contacted them to report the fault, just in case your warranty runs out in the meantime and they get difficult about fixing it.

Suspension arm/tie bar/track control bushes flexing/crackling?

Potentially, although if the issue was suspension related surely it would happen whilst in motion too?

At the moment I'm leaning toward a possible relay fault? In the engine bay to the right side you can see the two brake lines go into some kind of distribution unit, the noise seems to be below there.

Bought an S Class a few years ago with clicking on the front brakes, had to have the callipers replaced under warranty. Mine clicked even when the car was stationary and brakes applied.

Sometimes its the pads moving in the carrier. Can you get someone to make it do it while you listen? Can you jack it up to take a look?

The first thing i would do is wheels off, calipers off, give them a good sanding/wire brush & clean up with brake cleaner, check the smoothness of the runners, copper grease contact patches only and see if it helps.

The first thing i would do is wheels off, calipers off, give them a good sanding/wire brush & clean up with brake cleaner, check the smoothness of the runners, copper grease contact patches only and see if it helps.

Don't use copper grease. There is better out there for this application. Copper grease is a bit old hat nowadays and is'nt a good as the modern stuff. I haven't used that dreaded stuff for 20 years.

what can you suggest instead of copper grease? I wasnt aware of a better solution.. my bad I guess.

Here too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom