Clicking/ Ticking noise while driving E250 14'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FilipL

Car
E Class Coupe 250 14'
Hi, for over a year I have a worrying clicking/ ticking noise coming from under/ front of a car when driving. Especially when driving along concrete barriers on dual carriage roads or in tunnels for example, seems like the noise is present at all times over 15/20 mph and the hotter the car gets or weather outside the more audible it gets. Let me start by saying that there is nothing in the tyre thread, it almost sounds like a stone stuck in the tyre. The tyres has been replaced along with all the brake pads and rotors, the suspenssion has been checked by my mechanic, no dice. What I have noticed is that going over things like joints of the bridges or slight holes in roads makes to noise appear or disappear and turning left while driving makes is more audible but correcting of the sterring wheel to the neutral position can make it go away and turning again makes it re-appear. I cannot hear it inside of the car with windows closed only when the window is opened. It worries me a lot because no one seems to have an idea what is it. Any information what it might be will be valuable, I drive an E Class Coupé from 2014.

Thank you.

A common affliction has been the perishing of clips supporting the handbrake cable, allowing the cable to droop onto the propshaft and/or its couplings, thus creating a clicking noise whilst vehicle is moving.

It might be worth checking for this.

PS Just had this on the CLK500 last month.

Thank you for your reply.
My car is going to the garage for the replacement of a motor mount next Tuesday as one of them started to leak fluid at 55K miles. I'll advise them to check for the handbrake cable! Will post a reply with the outcome once checked!
Thank you.

Checked everything underneath the car, handbrake cable is in place, all the clips are fine. Also checked all the heatshields and plastic covers. Propshaft and flexdiscs are just fine. The noise is still there.
I believe I do have non OEM brake discs/rotors installed in front, presumably Eicher (these were installed by JCT600 - I bought the car from them) as far as I remember. Could they make a clicking or rather ticking noise while cruising and even under slight turns ? The sound gets more pronounced while braking. They have been checked too and are not bent or anything. Point of notice I'm almost certain the noise was gone after the installation of new genuine brake pads and after 150 miles or so the noise came back. But then again I might be mistaking. Is there anything else in Mercedes E Class Coupe that can create such a noise or in E Class in general.

Thanks.

Checked everything underneath the car, handbrake cable is in place, all the clips are fine. Also checked all the heatshields and plastic covers. Propshaft and flexdiscs are just fine. The noise is still there.
I believe I do have non OEM brake discs/rotors installed in front, presumably Eicher (these were installed by JCT600 - I bought the car from them) as far as I remember. Could they make a clicking or rather ticking noise while cruising and even under slight turns ? The sound gets more pronounced while braking. They have been checked too and are not bent or anything. Point of notice I'm almost certain the noise was gone after the installation of new genuine brake pads and after 150 miles or so the noise came back. But then again I might be mistaking. Is there anything else in Mercedes E Class Coupe that can create such a noise or in E Class in general.

Thanks.
Hi i have the same thing on my clc220 for nearly 3 years first it sounded like a wheel bearing so put new hubs rotors and
pads on both fronts also had new Nearside Front Suspension arm ball joint replaced
Still got this clicking local garage can't find it.This car has only done 59000 miles a 2009 model
I am a now 71 had a few merks in my life the most problems i have had is rust on a 2002 220cdi.
Have always done my own repairs this has beat me. Done all the checks prop shaft rear handbreak cable.
Put the little spare wheel on both sides no difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom