Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ever thought about getting a girlfriend?:D

Surely if this one is too small, would your home one, also house sized, be too small as well and if you climb one at home frequently won't you find it less of a challenge and thus get bored of it?

Regards

Tan
It would be small... but I could reset the routes as often as I want... daily if needed... and I wouldn't have to pay £7 a pop for the priviledge!

Ever thought about getting a girlfriend?:D
She gave me the idea... she's a climber too...

Why stop there, why not install a water slide too.

I'm sure your neighbours and the council won't mind.
I have friends with slides in their back yard... and climbing frames... (admittedly for their kids). Others have basketball hoops anchored to their walls... how is this different?

M.

Instead of upwards, why not sideways? You can build those skills of climbing.

You could use the garden wall, and then go onto the back of the house.

This is assuming you have a garden of a decent size, which is walled.

Again, a traverse wall is closer to bouldering rather than climbing. I need something that allows me to build stamina and get my friends up to scratch on their belaying before heading out ;)

M.

I used to find that "bouldering" on railways bridges was a great way of building stamina - it's also a much better way of developing and stretching skills in a safer environment. I'd much rather step down than rely on a belay any time. I think you'd also be surprised at how limiting you'd find it, and as your setting the holds yourself you won't get the route-breaking experience either.

At school where I got into climbing we had a wall about 8 ft high and about 60 ft long - in an "L" shape of about 2:1. Various holds had been knocked in that got progressively harder as you went along, and if you made it to the end (witnessed by a teacher) then you could go on the climbing trips. I had a few holds on my parents house - at the grade I was climbing back then there was no danger of being broken in - and wipe the windows at the same time. We also had some railways bridges - single arch - which were great. I got into a little bit of trouble for climbing on the one over the road into the village (not surprising really) but the others were off the beaten track. The only time we belayed those was when climbing the underside of the arch - now that's stamina and strength building!

If my friend's belaying techniques were not up to scratch, I wouldn't want to be playing around on a wall with them either - just a thought.

But if you want to go for it - why not? I just think the time, effort, and money you'd spend doing it would be better spent elsewhere.

SWMBO would be belaying me - friends not being up to scratch would be other friends who are learning ;) It's safer to learn somewhere controlled than on a trip down the alps :D

Regarding route-setting, I did think of that... but then I thought, I can get 2 hold colors... I set a route for her, and she sets one for me...

Ho hum... let's see what the council says :) Still waiting patiently!

M.

sometimes i wonder if you are winding us up with your ideas.

what happened to doing the ice truckers road on a skateboard?

sometimes i wonder if you are winding us up with your ideas.

what happened to doing the ice truckers road on a skateboard?

It's in progress - emailed Smart Canada and waiting for a reply there. Got in touch with a cousin in Canada, who is interested in this. Money "pot" set up, and now I'm saving up for it... don't have 10k£ floating about on a whim ;) Will probably happen in 16 months or so (i.e. next winter, around xmas 2012.)

Also planning Kili, Mnt Blanc and El Camino Del Rey before then... lots to do, lots to plan... very little time... ;)

M.

So I heard back from the council!

They tried to be helpful, which was great - but kinda missed the point. They referred me to a document, where it said I couldn't extend my house higher than the highest point on the roof. (which is not really applicable as it isn't a house extension and it wouldn't be higher than the roof... anyhow)

Anyhow - the document did have some other information, and it looks like I would need planning permission under these points:
A.1 (i)(iv)
an alteration to any part of the roof of the dwellinghouse.

A.2 In the case of a dwellinghouse on article 1(5) land, development is not permitted by
Class A if—
(a) it would consist of or include the cladding of any part of the exterior of the
dwellinghouse with stone, artificial stone, pebble dash, render, timber, plastic or
tiles;

Oh well, there goes a plan :)

M.

EDIT: An extract from his email:
I would suggest you speak to your neighbours about it in advance as they may be concerned about loss of privacy and the quirkiness of the use.

Quirky? really? :p

Quirky? really? :p

It has been hinted at in some of the replies so far! :thumb:

(maybe you could dig a shaft in the garden, lower yourself to the bottom & climb out? Would not annoy the neighbours after it was excavated.)

Russ

(maybe you could dig a shaft in the garden, lower yourself to the bottom & climb out? Would not annoy the neighbours after it was excavated.)

Russ

unless their house falls into it...

Also planning Kili, Mnt Blanc and El Camino Del Rey before then... lots to do, lots to plan... very little time... ;)

M.

I think you've missed El camino Del Rey, it's being rebuilt as a mainstream tourist attraction....read...boring/safe..

v Tags.. :D

I think you've missed El camino Del Rey, it's being rebuilt as a mainstream tourist attraction....read...boring/safe..

v Tags.. :D
Really?! Cr*p... Mnt Huashan was next, but it's further and needs more funds... was hoping to do that this octoberish...

Russ
Actually, a concerned neighbor came around 2-3 years ago when I dug a massive hole in my back yard to sink in some 1000-litre water tanks with the view of beating the hose-pipe ban...

I think there may be pics of that floating on here soemwhere :p

m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom