Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Well, it's that time of the year... the time I dream of stupid summer projects!

This year, I was thinking... I could build a climbing wall at home!

Problem is, the only brick wall that is high enough is on the front of the house, and while I could drill holes in it and countersink expansion nuts so that when I wanted to climb I could put holds up... this isn't ideal as I would need to remove the holds every time I finished climbing (having a route up to a window isn't ideal!)

The rear of the house doesn't have a 2-storey wall, the first floor of the house has clay-roofing-tiles and slopes down to the ground level...

So my thought was to put a piece of marine plywood over the tiles, somehow anchor it to the roof and then anchor the holds to that... the belay anchor at the top could be set to the actual house which should be strong enough...

My question is this though...

- Could my nehibors complain that there is a climbing wall on the house? (which is at the rear and not visible from the road?)
- Would the clay tiles get damaged by having the marine plywood on top of them?
- any ideas?

M.

Last edited:
Isn't this just making it easier for burglars to get in?

Isn't this just making it easier for burglars to get in?

The rear (the side where I want this) doesn't have any windows :) The other sides of the roof have only 1 window, and this is already easily accessible from the rear (sloped roof). This window doesn't open.

Side 1: Flat wall, 1 opening window. No easy access without holds... hence, why I want to put it on sides 2 or 4...
Side 2: Sloped roof halfway, no windows
Side 3: Sloped roof halfway, 1 window. No wall planned here.
Side 4: Sloped roof halfway, no windows

Would I need planning permission?

plenty of trees in the park - go climb some of them.

Sorry but I think your idea is ridiculous - of course it will upset the neighbours.

if you are truly serious about this i would definitely check with council-otherwise it will all end in tears when objections fly in!

I climb regularly (3-4 times a week) at several walls... (Archway, Castle, Westway, and Brunel)....

Issue is...
Brunel is too small (house sized!) and expensive
Castle is very far
Archway is bouldering only and far
Westway is good, but takes 30-40 minutes to get to.... which means for a quick hour long session, it's not the best...

I've emailed my council... let's see what they say... I was thinking, if the roof tiles would get damaged by the plywood, I could build a floating structure that rested "over" the tiles without touching them...
M.

Trees are much more fun.

That's how I got into IT... long story, but in short:
-fell out of a tree, damaged my arm very seriously
-spent 2 years in hospital with Volkmann's syndrome. 85% chance of having my arm amputated at one point
-got told to try to use my fingers to type/play video-games as my arm was paralised... so I got my first console and PC...

I still like climbing trees... but I quite like the feel of a safety harness and a rope nowadays!

M.

A mate has one in his garage. It slopes up along the ceiling and down the other side.

I did think of the garage/loft wall... but that's back to a bouldering cave and not a sport/top-rope wall...

How long do councils normally take to respond?

M.

How long do councils normally take to respond?
M.

Can take some time usually, but in your case they will most likely pass the details to the nearest asylum, watch out for the men in white coats paying a visit and have an overnight bag packed in case. ;)

Russ

Cut some steps into the lawn and get horrendously pi55ed, you will think you are climbing Everest.

So my thought was to put a piece of marine plywood over the tiles, somehow anchor it to the roof and then anchor the holds to that... the belay anchor at the top could be set to the actual house which should be strong enough...

Why stop there, why not install a water slide too.

I'm sure your neighbours and the council won't mind.

I climb regularly (3-4 times a week) at several walls... (Archway, Castle, Westway, and Brunel)....

Issue is...
Brunel is too small (house sized!)
M.

Surely if this one is too small, would your home one, also house sized, be too small as well and if you climb one at home frequently won't you find it less of a challenge and thus get bored of it?

Regards

Tan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom