Clip-on bonnet paintsaver(clear or tinted acrylic)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hocky

I am still looking for these for my 1994 and 1997 C180 cars and cannot find them anywhere in the world. Maybe I looked in the wrong places? I would appreciate it if anyone has seen one and can point me to the shop, factory or even country where these are made or sold. They are very common for the Japanese, Korean and some European cars, but I have not seen these on a Mercedes Benz before, ever. I have even asked an acrylic moulding company that makes other stuff like car window weather shields that lets you leave windows open a bit and they stop rain from getting in. Will cost quite a bit for a custom mould and fit. I already have the headlight clip-on protectors which are cheap here. I have found the 3M clear stick-ons, but they are hard to trace out on the curvy bonnet and cut properly and fitted on properly. Pre-cuts are too expensive and easily damaged by poor installation. Please help, thanks. :crazy: :crazy:

Last edited:
clip-on bonnet paint protectors for C180 Benz

If nobody is going to help me out on this one, I will have to try and do a 3M stick-on film on my bonnet, front bumper and a few other "too" exposed frontal areas of the car by next week. I have already waited too long for any other suggestions. The US stuff is called Invicashield and the Australian one I have is called Altrex and both use the same 3M clear film with stick-on adhesive on the back. Supposed to last about 7 years, but warranty is about 3 years only. The surface still gets pitted by the stones and dirt, but they still protect the paint surface unless the stones are bigger than normal. I haven't seen one that is 3 years old yet, but should look pretty bad by then, so you really have to consider whether its really worth all the fuss and expense. If I can, I would like to put up a steel shield in front, like the front bullbars they now have on the 4WDs here. :bannana:

Hi Hocky,

I take it you are trying to prevent your car from getting "stone chips"?

If that is the case, and having not seen your cars, after 10 and 7 years respectfully, would the damage not already have been done?

The way I look at it is this - for the hassle and cost involved, plus the fact that (in my opinion of course!) the products you mention would look a little unsightly on the front of the car/bonnet, I wouldn't bother with them. I would be tempted to carefully clean/wax and touch in any stonechips on occasions, and after say 100K miles, or whatever you feel appropriate, have the bumper and bonnet painted if it really bothers you?

I am not sure how much these products would cost, but if you are talking Australia/America etc, and steel guards, I guess they are not inconsiderably cheap? I reckon you could get a good respray on the bonnet and bumper for a few hundred quid! :)

HTH,

Will

Having done a Google search myself, the results are mostly for good wax products.
Maybe we are just not into 'deflectors' in the UK, apart from those for headlights.

Car Bra's are available from www.autoanything.com
This is the 3 series one. They have thoughtfully provided for the whole MB range!! ;)

This looks ridiculous... Why dont u just let the stonechips happen and repaint the bonnet and wings every few years, would work out cheaper... Unless you regularly drive down a bad road, i dont see reason for making your car ugly..

.....No I think every BMW should Have to wear one by law. :)

jaymanek said:
This looks ridiculous... Why dont u just let the stonechips happen and repaint the bonnet and wings every few years, would work out cheaper... Unless you regularly drive down a bad road, i dont see reason for making your car ugly..

That's exactly my point! Why pay good money for an expensive car, only to ruin it with something like that! By the time you have a few stonechips, the money saved in fuel consumption would probably pay for a repainted bumper and bonnet! :rolleyes:

Waste of time if you ask me!

Cheers,

Will

bonnet protectors

Yes I agree with you blokes that the black car bra is a monstrosity, but it does its work very well. However, if not taken off occassionally and cleaned off, it would look a real disaster and grit caught under the sheet(very possible) will scratch your good paintwork while the bra is flapping around at high speed. Thats why I am searching for the clip-on alternative as the stick-on ones are just too hard to shape, cut and instal. My 1994 C180 has a newly repainted front bumper and full bonnet and side front panels. The 1997 C180 still looks brand new at a certain distance like 10ft or more. Otherwise, the dark paint is still very clean, smooth and only has some stonechips in front and spiderweb fine scratches visible very close up. Thanks for all your suggestions fellas, I am now on to the front protector manufacturers for a custom set for my car, hope they will be able to come up with something I will be happy with. :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom