Clipped my wing mirror

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
duplicate post, sorry

Last edited:
I do this if you know you are going to get nowhere with them, there's not a magistrate in the land going to side with someone else when a lawyer, police officer, detecctive or class 1 police driver raises the summons, works every time never lost one yet.

But the other party will have their lawyer too. And the days of police officers standing up in court and being automatically believed because of their uniform went out some time in the 1970's.

But let's wait and see.

Last edited:
But the other party will have their lawyer too. And the days of police officers standing up in court and being automatically believed because of their uniform went out some time in the 1970's.

But let's wait and see.

Really, that might be your perception ;) No magistrate or judge will ever doubt a class one police driver or a lawyer raising a personal summons, trust me :thumb:

As I said me and SWMBO never lost one yet, including one high court appearance.

Really, that might be your perception ;) No magistrate or judge will ever doubt a class one police driver or a lawyer raising a personal summons, trust me :thumb:

As I said me and SWMBO never lost one yet, including one high court appearance.

I thought the guy who's raised the summons in the case that we're talking about was a detective not a class one driver.

And maybe the magistrate will attach equal weight to the other guy's counter-summons.......

I thought the guy who's raised the summons in the case that we're talking about was a detective not a class one driver.

And maybe the magistrate will attach equal weight to the other guy's counter-summons.......

Carrotchomper is a detective, I'm just trying to illustrate that someone in this type of job, just like a class one police driver or lawyer, carries more weight than the average joe public, the reason the magistrate or judge knows they know the law better than joe public so would not have gone to the trouble of raising the summons in the first place it they felt it was not serious enough to do so.

My money is on Carrotchompers summons being 100% successful

Carrotchomper is a detective, I'm just trying to illustrate that someone in this type of job, just like a class one police driver or lawyer, carries more weight than the average joe public, the reason the magistrate or judge knows they know the law better than joe public so would not have gone to the trouble of raising the summons in the first place it they felt it was not serious enough to do so.

Knowing the law is one thing - proving what happened with no independent witnesses and where the matter is an off-duty personal not professional one is quite another.

My money says he'll get nowhere but time will tell.

Quite. I know that the days are gone when the Police are automatically believed by Magistrates however I am a qualified response driver (3 week course) and indeed used to drive the road in question daily so haven't raised a summons on a whim, but because I was genuinely frightened by the manner of their driving. This is clear within the statement.

Clipping the wing mirror of a stationary vehicle at reasonably high speed when you have had ample opportunity to see and stop for said vehicle, but decide to "teach the driver a lesson", is not the action of a careful and competent driver. It's within a foot or so of being a serious RTC.

You'll have to post up what happens.

Is this summons business only possible by someone within the law 'industry' i.e. if two Joe Publics were involved in the same incident, could they do the same or would it just be a case of reporting it to their own insurance companies (I can't see the cops being interested)...?

You'll have to post up what happens.

Is this summons business only possible by someone within the law 'industry' i.e. if two Joe Publics were involved in the same incident, could they do the same or would it just be a case of reporting it to their own insurance companies (I can't see the cops being interested)...?

It's technically possible to lay information for a "private summons" but rarely happens I believe.

Sam good to see you posting again. Congrats on your promotion. You still driving that giant VW. :D. Hope you've washed it.

Were you in your own car , or a 'company' one ?

Were you in your own car , or a 'company' one ?

Own car. I was on a day out with my mum, further emphasising the fact that I wouldn't have stopped the driver for a trifling incident.

Have just sold the "VW".... Very sorely tempted by an 03 reg 745i on Pistonheads at the moment for £5000. Yeah, I know.. :ban: ;)

I know it's shocking but people do that you know.......

I can't decide if that is meant to sound as patronising as it does. I deal with liars every day. The point I was making was that-

1) It would have no bearing on the DWDCA charge
and
2) It would be almost certainly be disbelieved in Court.

I can't decide if that is meant to sound as patronising as it does. I deal with liars every day. The point I was making was that-

1) It would have no bearing on the DWDCA charge
and
2) It would be almost certainly be disbelieved in Court.

It's meant to be realistic.

You've got no damage to your car, no evidence, no witnesses and it's your word against his.

CC had his mum in the car with him , she will be a perfectly valid witness if the matter reaches court . It would be their words against his . Contrary to popular opinion , it matters not that a witness was in one of the cars , her testimony will carry slightly less weight than that of a completely independent witness , but will still be taken into consideration .

Corroboration counts for everything when it comes to court proceedure .

It's meant to be realistic.

You've got no damage to your car, no evidence, no witnesses and it's your word against his.

Given Carrotchomper has given his background and reasons as to why he believes what the outcome will be - I'd be interested to hear what your background is and what experience you have the makes you sure what you believe will be the outcome to be the case?

My Dad had similar thing happen and got screwed over.

While sitting stationary at temporary traffic lights he was hit in the drivers side rear quarter by a Learner on a moped. The moped then proceeded to hit both side doors and the front wing. The moped then accelerated through the red light and off up a side road.

My Dad informed the police but had no witnesses. The police contacted the insured moped driver who admitted they had hit each other but said my Dad had hit him and then driven off! :eek:

My Dad was advised that due to no witnesses he should agree joint liability for the accident. He had to claim on the insurance and now his renewal has shot up in price.

Little scroat! :mad:

My Dad had similar thing happen and got screwed over.

While sitting stationary at temporary traffic lights he was hit in the drivers side rear quarter by a Learner on a moped. The moped then proceeded to hit both side doors and the front wing. The moped then accelerated through the red light and off up a side road.

My Dad informed the police but had no witnesses. The police contacted the insured moped driver who admitted they had hit each other but said my Dad had hit him and then driven off! :eek:

My Dad was advised that due to no witnesses he should agree joint liability for the accident. He had to claim on the insurance and now his renewal has shot up in price.

Little scroat! :mad:

If only he'd had your Grandma with him he could have issued a summons and it would have been an open and shut case !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom