Clipped my wing mirror

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Dad had similar thing happen and got screwed over.

While sitting stationary at temporary traffic lights he was hit in the drivers side rear quarter by a Learner on a moped. The moped then proceeded to hit both side doors and the front wing. The moped then accelerated through the red light and off up a side road.

My Dad informed the police but had no witnesses. The police contacted the insured moped driver who admitted they had hit each other but said my Dad had hit him and then driven off! :eek:

My Dad was advised that due to no witnesses he should agree joint liability for the accident. He had to claim on the insurance and now his renewal has shot up in price.

Little scroat! :mad:

Hmmm ,

a little bit more detail in looking at the damage : position and directionality of scratches in your dad's paintwork , position of any debris from broken indicator lenses ( if any ) on the road beside the car ; position and nature of damage to motorcycle - coupled with other driver's account of what happened - might well have supported your dad's version of events and revealed inconsistencies in other driver's account .

Damage to offside of car / nearside of motorcycle with directionality of scratches from rear of car towards front could only have occurred the way you described or if your dad had happened to reverse into stationary bike and then along it - court would weigh up balance of probabilities , I know which sounds more likely to me .

It comes down , once again , to who is the more credible witness .

Photographs of car at scene , summoning Police to scene ( from which other driver had departed ) will always be helpful .

Right, well it's not a good result and I suspect certain posters will be rubbing their hands with glee, however I had a non-productive telephone conversation with the local case preparation unit today who aren't going to run the case.

Basically, the person responsible said that it was a relatively minor incident, one word against another etc... and would only ever result in a "driver improvement course" anyway. I wasn't terribly bothered whether it was run or not, but it was important to carry it through.

I didn't have a huge amount of time for the caller, who went on to say that I shouldn't have identified myself as a Police officer, should have reported it at the local Police Station etc, completely getting the wrong end of the stick basically. Laughably so in fact. Didn't take the point that the situation would have been entirely the same if I'd been in a plain work car. And the fact that I conducted myself 100% appropriately... I would have approached the situation no differently in uniform!

So yes, it isn't going to Court. It doesn't change the fact that a large amount of cases with "no evidence"- IE one-on-one- do go to Court and do succeed.

I am certainly not rubbing my hands with glee. Feel for you chomper.

To be "advised" by your "caller" telling you you should have not ID'd yourself as a police officer is beyond the pale.

Karma will get the offender in the end. It may well get your local case building unit too. I wonder if this is a case of being "job" works against you. ie He wont kick up too much of a fuss and its an easy "tick in the box" for the case building unit as a "No Goer"

Fair play to Carrotchomper for coming back even though it wasn't 100% positive.

Alan

Anything to do with all the cuts and just not economically viable to run the case?

Maybe it was a duffer in the end but at least this thread shows you don't have a bad attitude problem...

Last edited:
Sorry to learn that Carrotchomper. I guess all cases stand or fall on the merits as decided by the prosecuting authorities. It is frustrating to see some idiots getting away with it and one can only hope that it will catch up with them in some other way. I would say put it behind you and deal with the aftermath without getting insurance any companies involved. Insurers will find a 100 reasons to withhold payment and a 1000,000 more for which to raise your premium.

Sorry to learn that Carrotchomper. I guess all cases stand or fall on the merits as decided by the prosecuting authorities. It is frustrating to see some idiots getting away with it and one can only hope that it will catch up with them in some other way. I would say put it behind you and deal with the aftermath without getting insurance any companies involved. Insurers will find a 100 reasons to withhold payment and a 1000,000 more for which to raise your premium.

True, thankfully it was never recorded or seen as a collision because there is no tangible damage to either vehicle. My Mazda only cost £600 so there is very little I would put through insurance. The case prep unit failed to grasp this fact. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the other driver stuck in a claim simply to be a nuisance!

I'm not really bothered, from an objective point of view it wasn't the strongest DWDCA but should have been run, at the end of the day I had to carry it through from the point that the driver refused to accept wrongdoing- Which indicated a poor attitude towards poor driving...

I don't get why people are so eager to "Put it down to experience." He was in the wrong, going by what you said, your car is damaged whether it be "Just" the mirror lens or the lens and a dent is irrelevant imo. The other driver was clearly in the wrong and should be made to put it right. Repairing the damage properly won't be cheap.

You pay enough for insurance, let them do what they are paid for. There is no way I would let it go.

If nothing else he needs to learn that it isn't ok to tear down a narrow street outside a school - the one your daughter goes to......Maybe next time he does it it won't be a car he hits.

Saw the same guy today on the same stretch of road - this time with the speed humps reinstated. Placed my car right in the middle so he had no option but to stop - I don't think he recognised me or the car.

I dropped my daughter off and then on the way back I saw his car in a car park in the woods where he was walking his dog. Bad thoughts crossed my mind but I left them there.

Must be getting old....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom