CLK 1.8 convertible.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martin 1

Car
'05 CLK 200 auto Convertible. silver with blue hood.
Hiya folk, I'm very close to finally buying one, it's an '06, Please can you advise, does it use timing chains or belts, are there any corrosion issues I should look for, is the auto trans 5 speed ? Forgive my appalling ignorance.

06, were all galvanised so no corrosion to worry about. Check the arches anyway for piece of mind

All Mercs use a timing chain so no worry about that
Check condition of the Poly V Belt however depending on mileage

I believe 06 has the 7 speed transmission. But this can all be checked if you supply the VRM as the Vin can be found from this and the data card posted

Buy one if gou intend on running it into the ground. Difficult car to sell on!

First the good news.........the M271 engine has a timing chain, not a belt.

The bad news.......lots of reported problems with the timing chain (its a single chain, not a duplex) stretching and jumping cogs on the camshaft. Also, the teeth on the cam are known to wear and need replacing. This is a really weak point with this unloved engine.

Think hard before buying and ensure you have it checked by someone who knows these engines before parting with any cash.

c180 timing chain problem - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Google M271 Timing chain problems. Sorry to rain on your parade, but better to be fore warned

Corrosion is the least of the worry with that car which I think has got a 5 sp auto box.

M271 engines are prone to oil in loom issue - leaking camshaft position sensor seals can allow oil to travel up the wiring loom and into the ECU - disconnect the sensor plugs and check they are dry.

^This

Make sure you get it cheap ;)

Does anyone know if the factory sat nav can be updated ?

All a bit doom and gloom......?

Check the roof works (they're generally fine)
But check it twice

Prices are falling, though there will be the summer surge for convertibles any moment now, so watch you're not paying too much.
Selling is only an issue to consider if you are planning to....
Keep it a few summers and it's no different to any other car of that age.

Remaps are available if power isn't enough, else the timing chain issue is the only one to do your homework on.

Command is good, but the sat nag is showing its age.

Someone here might known the car if you're more concerned
There are plenty around though, so you can be picky.

Report back.....

Does anyone know if the factory sat nav can be updated ?

Yes

Either genuine / second hand discs or swap out the unit with a cheap Chinese android unit ( or more expensive options are available)

Phew, a few words of encouragement, I've got some thinking to do.

Not exactly fair

It's an old car on a old chassis that has a hairdressers image once removed from an MX5

With that out of the way, a good car will sell. It looks good, it's generally reliable and goes well enough. There is a decent market for them, WBAC or Trade in if necessary and few people do much but lose a chunk of money when selling, whatever the car / merc
E55s can and will lose you cash....

So will an MX5
It's only money.

A defence of the defensible.....

Phew, a few words of encouragement, I've got some thinking to do.

Sorry if I came over as being pessimistic, but nobody wants to buy a car and, worst case scenario, find the timing chain has stretched and pick up a big repair bill. I was just trying to open your eyes to the fact it has an engine that can have faults and proceed carefully.

Are there any simple checks I can make to see if the cam gears are worn ? I've found a guy on Youtube who reckons it's caused by blocked breather pipes causing the cam timing to over advance-possible ?

I have one.
I change the oil every year and I don't worry about the engine one bit.

I believe they will rattle for a good few seconds when cold for a good time before the eml comes on.

Cracking car, cracking engine - smooth and reasonably powerful for the size. Feels just like a smaller M112.
Had mine four years, and just had the first bill - two broken rear springs.

I love it.

On a positive note our 1.8 CLK coupe is now almost 14 years old. Still looks like new inside and out. Its had a new multifunction stalk, airbag module, alarm siren and once the self levelling for the xenons on one side stopped working. Oddly it came back to life a few days later and has been fine since. Other than that just routine servicing. Its no sports car but the 1.8 is perfectly adequate. Very smooth for a 4 cylinder.
These cars are now getting on in age and personally I would not worry about resale unless you are planning on changing it soon.
incidentally ours is insured on an agreed value policy with LV. They valued it at 6000. way over the top for a 14 year old CLK but I can't complain.

Sorry for the slight hijack, but you don't find the 1.8 is a little underpowered for a car this size? - Ironically the 1998cc motor in my Nissan makes more power than my CLK 350... but nothing like the torque.

Sorry for the slight hijack, but you don't find the 1.8 is a little underpowered for a car this size? - Ironically the 1998cc motor in my Nissan makes more power than my CLK 350... but nothing like the torque.

For me its fine. I like the smooth refined relaxed nature of the engine. Its no fireball but then thats not my driving style. I have always gone for a small engine in a highly optioned car. Financially not the most sensible route but given how long I keep them it really doesn't matter.

I've no experience of the CLK , but would ask if you need the back seats ?

Otherwise , also consider the SLK , of which there are loads around at all price points .

The 320 is a peach .

For me its fine. I like the smooth refined relaxed nature of the engine. Its no fireball but then thats not my driving style. I have always gone for a small engine in a highly optioned car. Financially not the most sensible route but given how long I keep them it really doesn't matter.

Both my old W203 1.8L and my W204 1.6L produce 156bhp. I'm fine with that... having grown up in an age where my wet dream was a Rover P5B equipped with the V8 3.5L producing 158bhp.... I am only 2bhp away from fulfilling my childhoods dream :thumb:

PobodY said:
Not really. :)

image-3934554259.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom