CLK 2.7 diesel advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Merc220cls

SUPPORTER
Car
220 CLS Shooting Brake & 350 SL
My son has been running a 2003 CLK 2.7 diesel for a few years now and likes it although unlike his father is not into cars.
He recently got it “serviced” and was informed they didn’t want to replace the fuel filter because one of the pipes is held on with a tie wrap which would have to be done by MB.

Since then he says the car has to be turned over for some time before it fires up and does not want to return to the “garage” which carried out the “service”

I’ve had a look at it and the pipe in question does not seem that complicated, and yes it is held on to the filter with a tie wrap as the plastic locking clip is missing plus at the other end where it attaches onto the pump it is broken.
I’ve asked him to get the respective parts ordered up and I will replace them so in the meantime has anyone had experience of having to turn the engine over a lot before it starts.

I assume all of the glow plugs are working and the glow plug light goes out quickly?
If not this then it is likely that the missing and broken clip are allowing air to be drawn in causing the starting issues.

I don't think that would have been done by MB. - They're more likely to invoice you for an entire "fuel filter assembly" and put the correct clips back on it.
My guess would be that the last person who serviced it didn't have any clips (or hose clamps) and opted for a zip-tie instead.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

The glow plug issue would not be an issue with a warm engine and I’m already thinking the drawing in air issue because of the condition of the pipe and filter.
I just hope it’s not a HP pump issue as that could prove costly.
Even when the car sits for just five minutes it doesn’t start immediately as it should.

I should the term “garage” I have used is a place I would not put a bicycle in for service if you know what I mean. Probably why my son doesn’t want to go back and complain.

A failed glow plug, or 2, isn't an issue for the starting of these engine, especially in our warm weather.
A simple jubilee clip would be better for the fuel filter. Be aware that these take a lot of turning to pull the fuel through after a filter change, priming the new filter can help. He's right to stay away from the garage that is affraid of this.

Fuel line 'o' rings are more often the culprit for poor cold starting on the earlier MB's.
Can be simple to change and cheap, cica 20p each from MB and 6 or 7 on the fuel lines.
The ends of the fuel lins 'plug in' to a receiver, they are released by pressing the side clips. Warm the engine first and be gentle as they can be brittle and break. Bin the old 'o' rings and roll on the new.
Over time they flatten and allow ingress of air into the fuel line and that's the poor start - when cold.
Of course it could be the fuel filter that's allowing air in, but replacing the 'o' rings is good prevention on these earlier MB's anyway.

A common fault with those engines as they age, is the fuel pipes and 'o' rings get brittle and crack, letting air in and causing the symptoms that you are getting. Might be an idea to replace them if they are still the originals?

It sounds like the o rings to me. The primary feed pump is to the right of the HP pump, driven off the cam. The two seals on this are very important, I would do these first. They can be changed in 5-10 minutes, easily accessible. It's possible they've disturbed the o rings elsewhere, if you watch the pipes on idle, see if you can see any air bubbles running through the pipes. It's unlikely the HP pump is at fault, they're very reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom