CLK 2009: rubbing/scrapping sound prop shaft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manxmel

Car
Mercedes CLK 200 Sport 2009
Hello, I have recently purchased a used CLK 200 Kompressor Cabriolet (2009). It has around 69k miles. A road speed related scrapping/rubbing noise (bit like a wheel bearing) has started emanating from, I believe, the front of the transmission tunnel. I’ve read about park brake cable clips breaking leading to the cable rubbing on the prop and from other peoples descriptions it sounds identical to my noise ,however, one thing that is throwing me is it gets louder when everything warms up after a few miles and then has a consistent noise that varies with road speed. Obviously I’m trying to avoid a garage going on an epic fault finding expedition (£££) if I can point them in the right direction from other MB owners experiences. The engine and transmission run and change gear smoothly with no suspect noises or judders. Can anyone explain the change in noise with temperature ?
Any advice/pointers/explanations would be appreciated. Thanks

Change of noise with temperature might be exhaust related? Broken support somewhere along the pipe? Loose heat shield? Etc.

You really need to get under the car and check... or better-still, her it on a ramp or lift.

Change of noise with temperature might be exhaust related? Broken support somewhere along the pipe? Loose heat shield? Etc.

You really need to get under the car and check... or better-still, her it on a ramp or lift.
Thanks for replying. I’ve made the assumption it’s temperature related as I couldn’t think what else would change over time.

Hello, I have recently purchased a used CLK 200 Kompressor Cabriolet (2009). It has around 69k miles. A road speed related scrapping/rubbing noise (bit like a wheel bearing) has started emanating from, I believe, the front of the transmission tunnel. I’ve read about park brake cable clips breaking leading to the cable rubbing on the prop and from other peoples descriptions it sounds identical to my noise ,however, one thing that is throwing me is it gets louder when everything warms up after a few miles and then has a consistent noise that varies with road speed. Obviously I’m trying to avoid a garage going on an epic fault finding expedition (£££) if I can point them in the right direction from other MB owners experiences. The engine and transmission run and change gear smoothly with no suspect noises or judders. Can anyone explain the change in noise with temperature ?
Any advice/pointers/explanations would be appreciated. Thanks

I had the a similar issue when I owned mine. The nose was like a tick tick sound rather than a scraping sound....The plastic clip that holds the hand brake cable get brittle with age crack and snap. The nose you hear is the cable hitting the propshaft. I did start a post on it a few years ago, not sure if it comes up in search function.

Garage says it's really common, buttons to fix £20 or so from memory.

^^^^^^ this, very common

Most likely to be the hand brake cable clips. It was not that on my car but I would describe the noise as a flapping noise which I believe to be the centre mount on the prop shaft. The rubber is torn on mines and I believe this is what is flapping against the prop shaft. Pic below.

ECD837FF-214D-40C4-B3D9-74206B175370.jpeg

I had the a similar issue when I owned mine. The nose was like a tick tick sound rather than a scraping sound....The plastic clip that holds the hand brake cable get brittle with age crack and snap. The nose you hear is the cable hitting the propshaft. I did start a post on it a few years ago, not sure if it comes up in search function.

Garage says it's really common, buttons to fix £20 or so from memory.
Thanks for the reply. Thinking back it did start off as a kind of ticking noise (bit like a stone or nail in the tyre) but has progressed to a more rubbing/scraping noise. I did mention to the garage about the handbrake cable and they did say they’d checked that, however, I’ve a feeling they haven’t removed the heat shield and just did a quick visual. Thanks for all your replies and descriptions which sound very similar to my issue. Who would have thought an innocent looking clip could lead to such a horrible annoying noise. Do you think it’s possible to jack/ramp up on the drive and fix?

Thanks for the reply. Thinking back it did start off as a kind of ticking noise (bit like a stone or nail in the tyre) but has progressed to a more rubbing/scraping noise. I did mention to the garage about the handbrake cable and they did say they’d checked that, however, I’ve a feeling they haven’t removed the heat shield and just did a quick visual. Thanks for all your replies and descriptions which sound very similar to my issue. Who would have thought an innocent looking clip could lead to such a horrible annoying noise. Do you think it’s possible to jack/ramp up on the drive and fix?

When I told the garage the symptoms, they were very quick to diagnose and were very familiar with the issue, and simply said they would get the car on the ramp and sort it.

However I didn't watch them do the work, I left them to it so didn't know the exact location of the clip that was broken or what they had to remove to solve the issue.

I'm not too mechanically minded, so wouldn't be able to direct you as to what bits and pieces were removed for the fix. I think it's one of those jobs where you want to take the car to a professional who knows what they are doing. Am not sure where are located but there a few garages in Essex that I could recommend that know what they doing and won't fleece you.

That happened on my previous W203, a parking brake cable clip was loose (and sorted by Terry at WG). But in my case it was a 'ticking" noise, rather than a rubbing one.

Thanks for everyones replies and pointers. For completeness I can confirm it was the blue plastic handbrake clip as you all suspected. Job done and back to a quiet smooth drive again 🙂D987397F-5229-4E3D-A692-8AA4B8CBD4EC.jpeg

hi. I have a similar noise. I looked under the car and could see two of the blue clips near the transmission which looked to be in good condition. Are there any other Clips further back towards the rear?

You can also back up the blue clips by putting a decent zip tie in to take the pressure off the clips

after removing heat shield found that the hand brake cable hand come out of one of the clips. The clip was not broken. I was unable to put the cable back into the Clip. how do you remove the existing clip?

after removing heat shield found that the hand brake cable hand come out of one of the clips. The clip was not broken. I was unable to put the cable back into the Clip. how do you remove the existing clip?
I think they pull out ? Back it up with a zip tie as well

I think they pull out ? Back it up with a zip tie as well
I tried pulling on it with pliers. It wouldn’t come off. There was not enough room under the car to Pull down hard. May get a mechanic to do it next time I take it in. In the meantime, I couldn’t get the hand brake cable back under the clip so I cable tied it to the clip. I also put a few cable ties in other locations. It fixed the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom