CLK 200K fuel consumption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdrrco

MB Enthusiast
Car
X218 CLS500 AMG BlueEfficiency Sport Shooting Brake - name almost as long as the car... & W202 C200
Having had a CLK 270CDI and an E 270CDI, when I bought my CLK 200K exactly a year ago today, I wasn't expecting outstanding fuel consumption. However, over the 24,000 miles I have done in it, I am delighted to report that I am averaging just under 38mpg with a high of over 51mpg just this week, as illustrated in the attached.

Am I the only one getting diesel figures from a petrol engine or are these known for getting more economical the more miles they have on the clock?

ForumRunner_20140524_214409.jpg

I've got a 2006 CLK 200 manual, used mostly for long distance motorway work. However, a lot of the balance is on 60 limit single carriageway.

I get an average of 32mpg, with a high of 44.1 on a long motorway journey with slowish traffic.

I have to say, I am a bit disappointed given the very similar average mpg from my SLK350 auto - before the camshaft drive sprocket failed that is.

That said, a surprisingly pleasant car to own with rather satisfactory road-holding.

ive got a w208 clk 200 auto its only got 94000 on clock and im lucky to see mid twenties local and 32 on a run

Having had a CLK 270CDI and an E 270CDI, when I bought my CLK 200K exactly a year ago today, I wasn't expecting outstanding fuel consumption. However, over the 24,000 miles I have done in it, I am delighted to report that I am averaging just under 38mpg with a high of over 51mpg just this week, as illustrated in the attached.

Am I the only one getting diesel figures from a petrol engine or are these known for getting more economical the more miles they have on the clock?

Dont believe the numbers without checking them the old fashioned way.

An average of 38 seems very high for a clk200.

My W208 230k does 28 mpg knocking about and just short of 35 on a run :thumb:

Not to hard to find V6 petrol owners getting Diesel mpg.Who says you can't match official figures?
Urban mpg 23.3 mpg
Extra Urban mpg 45.6 mpg
Average mpg 33.6 mpg

I have a Clk 230 w208 with 67000 on the clock, and have kept a close eye on its consumption. Delightful as these are to drive, I get an average of 30mpg, 24 in town, and with 37 on a run at best. These figures are not bad on second thought, when put in perspective. The w126 420sec v8 that I was originaly after has a maximum of 24-28 mpg max and similar performance figures. 38 average just seems very optimistic.

Dont believe the numbers without checking them the old fashioned way.

An average of 38 seems very high for a clk200.

I agree, so I double checked with the Gas Manager app. Over 16,433 miles since recording properly, it has averaged 35.4 mpg - still good going for what isn't billed as an eco-model.

I changed yesterday to a CLK 320CDi (primarily because it's half the age and half the mileage!), so will be interesting to compare. If it wipes its face after taking into account the higher cost of diesel, I'll be happy.

Last edited:
I agree, so I double checked with the Gas Manager app. Over 16,433 miles since recording properly, it has averaged 35.4 mpg - still good going for what isn't billed as an eco-model.

I changed yesterday to a CLK 320CDi (primarily because it's half the age and half the mileage!), so will be interesting to compare. If it wipes its face after taking into account the higher cost of diesel, I'll be happy.

After two weeks in the 320CDi, it's certainly beating the 200K. Over the first 1,500 miles (including some spirited tests of the torque!), it's averaged 40.2, as opposed to the 200K's 35.4mpg. In order to be cheaper on fuel overall, it only had to beat 36.5mpg, so that's fine by me.

The on-board computer is much more accurate on the diesel model, showing 41.4 against 40.2 (3% out), compared with 37.9 against 35.4 (7% out).

Last edited:
A short trip of 23miles averaging 50Mpg isnt proper measure of Mpg and will always give a figure like that. I bet you reset it while moving - If I do the same, mine can go upto 40Mpg :D

Reset it and do a 100 mile trip, post what you get.

Last edited:
Last edited:
2003 CLK 200k does on average around 32mpg. Best I have seen was 42mpg on a long run to Italy. Checked the old fashioned way. I am very gentle with the loud pedal though. The later ones are said to be significantly less thirsty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom