Clk 208 Pixel replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26392

The two small side pixels on the clk430 were both dead so I priced up having them replaced.

I was quoted £180 by my indy, £60 if I took the car to akspeedo.com or £15 from akspeedo fir the bits to diy.

They have the process on youtube so I thought I would give it a bash.

Well I must say it's a doddle. The youtube video is 8 mins but it took me about an hour. I have a merc dash puller from the w124 which made the extract easy. I did have to add extra wee pads to being the new pcb strips to put presure on them but apart from that an easy job and both are 100% AOK.

It's rather pleasing to have everything back to how it should be.

So, if you have a 208 or 210 with dodgy pixels - get yourself the kits and crack on.

is it your speedo or the digital climate HU which was going bad?
display on speedo with tiptronic is known to have dead pixle problems.

digital climate display HU on w202 is going bad, speedo on the other hand up to 99 had no problems.

what kind of replacement parts did you get?
I need a strap for my climate HU if there are any for sale?

Im sorry kowalski I'm not sure what you mean.

I have three lcds in the dash. The big one in the middle was fine - but the two small ones with the temp on the left one and gear and clock on the right one were both unreadable.

The £15 got me two replacement ribbons to use with instructions.

Below is what it was like:

ForumRunner_20160117_145458.jpg

I had a CLK a good few years ago and mine went like that, missing loads of pixels. I ever got round to doing it unfortunately, p/exing it for an E Class instead.

Well done you for having a go, and even more so for succeeding. :)

Glad you got it fixed and it didn't cost a fortune.

The display on my CLK320 is quite good, only about two pixels missing, though a few more did disappear for a day, but then they returned :D

Probably only a matter of time before they do die though, so it's good to know that it's an easy job and a reliable supplier of the parts :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom