CLK 209 (2003) roof packed up - any ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercconvert

Car
CLK55 AMG,Holden Ute, a broken Legacy Twin Turbo & a chevy blazer
Hi All

Just gone out to the car to put the roof down to do a bit of trim cleaning, and its stopped working.(probably because the sun has come out :crazy:
Windows go down, roof unlatches but doesn't fold back. The roof switch flashes red slowly (I'm assuming as I don't think I've seen it flash fast).

It could be something to do with the battery as I had to change it last Monday due to the old one repeatedly dying however I used the roof yesterday no problem. I've re-synchronised the windows as per the manual but no change. Fuses seem ok. I've looked at other threads and once we get into tracks & hydraulic pumps I get lost as I don't know the roof system at all.
There are no instructions in my handbook for manual operation of the roof.
Boot liner etc all good and in place.

Could anyone help with some suggestions please?
Thanks in advance

Page 355 of the manual gives instruction on operation in an emergency, but I dont think there is a way to operate it manually on a day to day basis.

I was confused initially because the switch on the 208 flashes to indicate system failure (slow flash) or open blind/ boot (fast flash) but I am not aware the 209 did (or does) as it displays warnings on the multifunction display

Last edited:
Hi
Unfortunately it just says 'top in operation' - which it kind of isn't lol

Did you try to open it with the engine running? if not, and you have issues with your battery it may be there wasn't enough juice to operate the roof?

I remember on Wheeler Dealers they had an SLK with roof problem.

First they tried a new relay, but in the end it was the Hydraulic pump faulty.

The flashing indicates the roof operation is still in process, thats all. Your going to need to have a test on STAR as it could be the pump relay, the pump or any number of limit switches.

Hi
Yes engine running at all times - I suspect it will be expensive - I shall start at fluid level and the car is with the dealer on Monday anyway so I'll get them to STAR it and check out any roof codes whilst it's in - I'm going to nick name my car Jona !

Found hydraulic fluid flow topped up no change

Can any one guide me to any relays or limit switches I should be checking please ? I don't know the roof system at all - previously owned a SLK and the roof always worked so I'm in the dark on this one

Thanks

Sorry duplicate post damn app

Thanks - I've checked the boot cover switch that seems fine, no hydraulic leaks, switched a couple of relays under the bonnet but no change

Switched the hydraulic pump relays and no change - I'm starting to suspect an expensive micro switch

So whilst sitting at work on a night shift (and apologies for any 3.30am jibberish) stewing over the fact that my roof has failed, I decided to remind myself of the roof sequence. My roof is stopping at the point the glass/fabric rear of the roof would lift and the hard cover which covers the roof when its down also lifts.
(image lifted courtesy of Exotic Affinity video on You Tube)

Does anyone know if there is anything that I can check before the car goes to the dealer for a code reading? The less time the dealer has to invest in my car the more I can eat this month lol :eek:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-19 at 03.37.53.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-04-19 at 03.37.53.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 16
I've just had a brief update from the dealer in my roof - it's not had much of their attention yet as they are working on other things but they say it's looking increasingly like seized Rams

Mercedes have confirmed my hydraulic Rams are seized - quoted £2500 for repair - so I have 2 questions :
1) can the cover at the back be raised manually to gain access to the Rams ?
2) is there a recommended company in the UK that overhauls?

I'm not aware of P/Ns yet as car still in for other things but the engineer did tell me my car has the legendary seizing type - thanks in advance

mercconvert said:
Mercedes have confirmed my hydraulic Rams are seized - quoted £2500 for repair - so I have 2 questions : 1) can the cover at the back be raised manually to gain access to the Rams ? 2) is there a recommended company in the UK that overhauls? I'm not aware of P/Ns yet as car still in for other things but the engineer did tell me my car has the legendary seizing type - thanks in advance

What Rams need replacing?

Not sure yet but it's at least one of the back 4 under the cover - I shall let you know when I know more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom